A fast growing colony of Italy sprang up east of Main Street about 1905. Bishop Colton appointed the Rev. Luke Sharkey to form a new parish. He bought the Presbyterian Church at 266 Swan Street, and the Bishop dedicated it to Catholic worship, August 6, 1906. Father Sharkey bought an adjoining frame building for a rectory, and a brick house which served as a school for eight years until the new school was opened in 1914.
Father Sharkey remained until September 1914, when Dr. Charles Maxwell took charge. Dr. Maxwell was succeeded by the Rev. Dr. John Boland, July 11, 1917. In July 1928 the St. Lucy's was merged with St. Columba's.
Rev. Thomas Donohue, D.D., History of the Diocese of Buffalo (Buffalo, New York: The Buffalo Catholic Publication Co., Inc., 1929), p. 198.