Rev. Daniel Moore was assigned by Bishop Timon to this new congregation; and he labored here faithfully for three years, forming the people into an organized body and raising funds for the erection of a more permanent church building. Father Moore was succeeded in 1855 by the Rev. J. F. Dean, who remained here until the end of 1857, when he was succeeded by the Rev. J. McLennon. The Rev. J. M. Early and the Rev. A. McConnell were also here for a few months before the Franciscans came. The Rev. Dr. Barker and the Rev. George McMahon also had temporary charge of St. Patrick's Church.
The Franciscan fathers came to St. Patrick's Church in 1858, and they built all the handsome property which now serves all the purposes of the prosperous parish of St. Patrick's. Father Sisto was at the head of this first band of Franciscans who came to labor in the City of Buffalo. There was a little brick building on the property, which was used for a church, when the Franciscans came; and they soon erected a building adjoining for a monastery, or dwelling for the community. Father Sisto remained until 1861, when he was succeeded by Father James, and then came Father Bonaventure two years later. Father Bonaventure was succeeded in 1865 by Father Joachim. Father Bonaventure came again a short time later and remained until 1868, when he was succeeded by Father James, who remained until 1871. Father James erected the first parochial school in the parish, and brought the Franciscan Sisters from Allegany to teach the children of the parish. He also erected a commodious convent building on the property for the use of the sisters. Father James died in 1877, and several Franciscan Fathers were placed over the parish until the Rev. Angelus O'Connor came. The pastors who had charge of the parish during this period were Father Anacletus, Father Edward and Father Tranquilino.
Father Angelus built the present fine parochial school house, and fitted it up with every modern improvement necessary for an efficient school. In the upper story of the building is a large hall, which is used for entertainment and for meetings of the societies of the parish. Father Angelus began also the very handsome stone structure in Emslie Street, which is one of the fine church buildings of the city. This work was completed by his successor, the Rev. Dominic Scanlon. Plans were laid also for a handsome chapel in the rear of the church building, which would serve for week-day services in the winter season, or for use on special occasions. A very handsome and commodious monastery, or parochial house, was also erected adjoining the chapel. These three buildings are of brown Medina sandstone, and they form a very handsome and valuable church property. Father Scanlon was succeeded by the Rev. Caesar Keiran, who remained at the head of the parish until his death in 1901, when the Rev. Anselm Kennedy, was appointed superior of the community and rector of the prosperous parish of St. Patrick's.
The Rev. Andrew Slattery was in charge from July, 1916, to August, 1925,
when Father James was appointed. Father James continued the work
until August 15, 1928, when the Rev. Angelo Trosth came as pastor.