ST. RITA'S CHURCH (SLOVAK)
A little cluster of Slovak families established themselves in the eastern
part of Buffalo a few years back and for some time they attended the churches
in the neighborhood, but in 1920 they became sufficiently numerous to merit
a parish of their own. Bishop Turner appointed the Rev. Louis Smelko
to organize the new St. Rita's parish at Fillmore Avenue and Eagle Street.
The church was built in 1920 and along with the school was dedicated by
the Bishop, September 5th of the same year.
BUFFALO, NEW YORK
Father Smelko died July 19, 1924, and was succeeded by the Rev. John
Rev. Thomas Donohue, D.D., History of the Diocese of Buffalo
(Buffalo, New York: The Buffalo Catholic Publication Co., Inc., 1929),
Back to Buffalo Parishes.
Cheektowaga, New York