ST. WILLIAM'S CHURCH
Home building had been extending south and east near the city limits and
Father Bernet of St. John's decided to establish a station in Winchester
for the people who resided some distance from the parish church.
In 1925 he bought a plot of land on Harlem Avenue and erected a building
in which he could hold services for the small number in the neighborhood.
The first Mass was held in this building on Christmas, 1926. On week
days it is used for a school.
BUFFALO, NEW YORK
Father Bernet took care of the parish until March 1, 1928, when the
Rev. Charles Schreckenberger was appointed first resident pastor.
Father Schreckenberger bought a large building which he moved onto the
property and remodeled for a church. The new brick school which was
started in May, 1928, was ready in October.
Rev. Thomas Donohue, D.D., History of the Diocese of Buffalo
(Buffalo, New York: The Buffalo Catholic Publication Co., Inc., 1929),
Back to Buffalo Parishes.
Cheektowaga, New York