CHURCH OF THE TRANSFIGURATION (POLISH)
The Polish population of Buffalo increased very rapidly in 1890 and
the following years. The churches in the Polish settlements in East
Buffalo were over-crowded; and Bishop Ryan decided to form another congregation,
south of the large original parishes of St. Stanislaus and St. Adelbert.
He selected the Rev. James Wojcik, who was then pastor of the Church of
the Assumption, at Black Rock, to organize a new congregation. Property
was purchased at the corner of Sycamore and Mills Streets, and a little
frame building erected, which served as a church and school. The
church was blessed by Bishop Ryan on the 27th of October, 1893, and the
new pastor took up his residence there in November of the same year.
There were about one hundred and fifty families in the new congregation,
and fifty-eight children came for the opening of the parochial school.
The congregation increased very rapidly; and it soon became evident that
a very large church would be necessary to provide for the future wants,
of what was evidently destined to become a very large parish. Father
Wojcik was fully alive to the wants of his growing congregation, and he
had plans drawn for a magnificent brick church. The corner-stone
of the new edifice was laid the last day of June, 1896. This ceremony
was performed by the Very Rev. Peter Wawrzyniak, one of the domestic prelates
of the Vatican, who was then visiting the United States. On the 5th
of July, 1897, Bishop Quigley, assisted by a large number of priests, before
a great congregation, blessed the newly erected church. This church
is a very handsome structure, situated on the corner of Sycamore and Mills
Streets. It will accommodate fourteen hundred people, and it is none
too large for the very important and prosperous parish. Father Wojcik
erected also a very handsome parochial residence, on Mills Street, adjoining
the church. There were about eight hundred families in the parish,
and six hundred and seventy children attending the parochial school in
1910. Father Wojcik was very enterprising and energetic; and in less
than ten years he organized a parish which reflected credit on the pastor,
and was an evidence of the generosity of his people.
BUFFALO, NEW YORK
The Rev. Francis Kasprczak succeeded Father Wojcik in July, 1911, and
soon after made plans for a fine new school. The corner-stone was
laid October 4, 1914, by Bishop Colton, and the new building was dedicated
by Bishop Dougherty October 6, 1916. The building contains 16 class
rooms, hall and club rooms.
The parish celebrated its silver jubilee November 19, 1916.
Rev. Thomas Donohue, D.D., History of the Diocese of Buffalo
(Buffalo, New York: The Buffalo Catholic Publication Co., Inc., 1929),
Back to Buffalo Parishes.
Cheektowaga, New York