The growth of East Buffalo, shortly after the consecration of Bishop Quigley,
suggested the need of more church accommodations for the English speaking
Catholics of that district. The nearest English speaking church was
St. Patrick's; and for three or four miles eastward of St. Patrick's Church
there were many English speaking Catholic families, who found the distance
to St. Patrick's very inconvenient on Sundays. Bishop Quigley, therefore,
resolved to offer them more convenient church accommodations, and he commissioned
the Rev. Daniel O'Brien to organize two congregations in the summer of
1898. Father O'Brien said the first Mass in this district in the
furniture store, on the corner of Lovejoy and North Ogden Streets, on the
21st of August, 1898. In September of the same year Father O'Brien
purchased property on the corner of Lovejoy and Greene Streets, and on
this property, in the year following, he erected a large, handsome school
building which serves the purpose of church and school. The building
was completed and the first Mass celebrated in the new building on the
1st of November, 1899. The school was opened in the same building
in the latter part of January, 1900. A comfortable parochial residence
was also finished at the same time.
BUFFALO, NEW YORK
Father O'Brien had also organized the congregation of the Precious Blood
at the same time that he formed the Visitation parish, but these two congregations
gave such evidence of growth that they were separated and made distinct
parishes in 1900. The Rev. T. Gleason was appointed pastor of the
Precious Blood parish, while Father O'Brien remained as pastor of the church
on Greene and Lovejoy Streets.
Father O'Brien added a convent to his church property, and the parish
is now one of the important parishes of the diocese.
The Rev. Daniel O'Brien was succeeded January 25, 1906, by the Rev.
David J. Ryan, who remained until July 10, 1908, when the Rev. Henry Kingston
In 1922 Father Kingston erected the new convent at a cost of $25,000.
Father Kingston died in June, 1924, and was succeeded by the Rev. Peter
Berkery. Father Berkery was succeeded by Rev. Charles Maxwell, D.
D., at Christmas, 1928.
Rev. Thomas Donohue, D.D., History of the Diocese of Buffalo
(Buffalo, New York: The Buffalo Catholic Publication Co., Inc., 1929),
Back to Buffalo Parishes.
Cheektowaga, New York