Concord - was formed from "Willink," (now Aurora,) March 20, 1812; and Collins and Sardinia were taken off in 1821. A part of Sardinia was annexed in 1822. It lies upon the S. border of the co. The surface is a rolling upland, with steep declivities bordering upon Cattaraugus Creek. Townshend Hill, the highest point, is nearly 1500 ft. above tide. The principal streams are Cattaraugus Creek, upon the S. boundary of the town, and its tributaries. Several small brooks, forming the head waters of Eighteen Mile and Cazenove Creeks take their rise in this town. The soil in the S. part is a gravelly loam, and in the N. a clayey loam underlaid by hardpan. Springville, (p.v.,) incorp. April 11, 1834, is situated in the S. part of the town, and contains 5 churches, the Springville Academy, a newspaper office, and several manufacturing establishments.(1) Pop. 953. Mortons Corners, (p.v.,) in the S.W. part, contains 1 church, 2 sawmills, a gristmill, and 20 houses. Woodwards Hollow (p.o.) is a hamlet. The first settlement was made in 1808, by Christopher Stone.(2) The first church was organized Nov. 2, 1816, by Rev. John Spencer. There are 7 churches in town.(3)
(1)A woolen factory, 2 planing mills, a turning shop, a saw mill, 2 gristmills, a tannery, a stone sawing mill, and a furnace and machine shop.
(2)John Albro and John Russell settled in the town the same year, Sam'l Cochrane in 1809, and Rufus Eaton, Joseph Adams, Alva Plumb, and David Shultiez in 1810. The first birth was that of Lucius Stone, in 1809; the first marriage, that of Jas. Runnell and Anna Richmond, in 1813; and the first death, that of Mrs. John Albro, in 1808. Anna Richmond taught the first school, in 1811.
(3)Bap., F.W. Bap., M.E., Presb., R.C., Union, and Univ.
J.H. French, Gazetteer of the State of New York (Syracuse, New York: R. Pearsall Smith, 1860), p. 289.