EVANS(1) - was formed from Eden, March 23, 1821. A part of Hamburgh was annexed in 1826, and a part of Brandt was taken off in 1839. It lies upon the lake shore, in the S. part of the co. The land rises from the lake in a bluff 20 to 40 ft. high; and the highest part of the town, near the E. border, is 160 ft. above the lake. The streams are Big and Little Sister Creeks. The soil is a sandy and gravelly loam intermixed with clay. Evans, (p.v.,) situated on Big Sister Creek, contains 3 churches, a gristmill, a sawmill, a tannery, and about 45 houses; Angola, (p.v.,) on the same stream, is a station on the Erie R.R. and contains a gristmill, a sawmill, and about 45 houses; North Evans, (p.v.,) on Eighteen Mile Creek, in the N.E. part of the town, contains 3 churches, a gristmill, a tannery, and about 40 houses; East Evans, (p.v.,) in the N. part of the town, and Pontiac, on Big Sister Creek, in the S.E. part, contain about 20 houses each. The first settlement was made in 1804, by Joel Harvey.(2) There are 7 churches in town.(3)
(1)Named from David E. Evans, agent of the Holland Land Company.
(2)--- Fisk and --- Worder settled in the town in 1808, Aaron Salisbury and Aaron Cash in 1809, and Andrew Tyler and Elijah Gates in 1810. The first birth was that of a daughter of David Cash, in Jan. 1811; the first marriage, that of Whiting Cash and Persis Taylor, June 28, 1815; and the first death, that of Jonathan Cash, in 1811. Henry Tuttle built the first mill, in 1817; Joel Harvey kept the first inn, in 1806; and John Harris the first store, in 1815. The first school was taught by --- Hibbard, in 1811.
During the War of 1812 a party of British sailors and mariners landed near Sturgeon Point, in the night, and commenced plundering the inhabitants. Judge Aaron Salisbury, then a young man, seized his musket and started off alone to get a shot at them. When he arrived they were retreating to their boats, and an exchange of shots produced no damage on either side. They started for the mouth of Eighteen Mile Creek, and he on foot endeavored to get there before them; but they had landed when he arrived. He immediately commenced firing; and they, not knowing how large a force was opposing them, retreated to their boats and speedily left. Here one man frightened away 100 and saved the inhabitants from plunder.
(3)3 Bap., 3 Cong., 3 M.E., and R.C.
J.H. French, Gazetteer of the State of New York (Syracuse, New York: R. Pearsall Smith, 1860), p. 290.