For many years Grand Island formed a part of the parish of Tonawanda. In 1906 the Rev. W.J. Kuelertz was appointed the first resident pastor of the island. Father Kuelertz died in July, 1910, and was succeeded by the Rev. Frank Meyer, who built another church the same year to accommodate the summer residents of the Island. The Catholic residents of the Island were few in number and they were later looked after by the Rev. Charles Kraehn of St. Francis Xavier Church, Buffalo. Father Kraehn took up his residence on the Island in 1925. The Rev. Albert Hoffmeyer succeeded Father Kraehn February 1, 1928.
Rev. Thomas Donohue, D.D., History of the Diocese of Buffalo (Buffalo, New York: The Buffalo Catholic Publication Co., Inc., 1929), p. 288.