LANCASTER - was formed from Clarence, March 20, 1833. A part of West Seneca was taken off in 1851, and a part of Elma in 1857. It is an interior town, N.E. of the center of the co. The surface is level. Cayuga and Eleven Mile Creeks are the principal streams; upon them are several mill sites. The soil is a clayey and gravelly loam. Lancaster, (p.v.,) incorp. March 13, 1849, is a station on the N.Y.C.R.R., in the W. part of the town. It contains 6 churches, a bank, and several manufactories.(1) Pop. 1,259. Bowmansville, (p.v.,) in the N.W. corner of the town, contains 1 church and has a pop. of 196. Town Line, Winspear, and Looneyville are p. offices. The first settlement was made in 1803, by Jas. and Asa Woodward.(2) The first religious services were conducted by Rev. John Spencer, at the house of Benj. Clark, in 1809. There are 8 churches in town.(3)
(1)A glass factory, a bedstead factory, a tannery, a gristmill, and a sawmill.
(2)Among the early settlers were Alanson Eggleston and David Hamlin, who came in 1804, Joel Parmalee, in 1805, Warren Hamlin, in 1806, Wm. Blackman, Peter Pratt, --- Kerney, and Elisha Cox, in 1807, and Elias Bissell, Pardon Peckham, and Benj. Clark, in 1808. The first birth was that of a pair of twins, children of Zophar Beach, and the first death, that of a child of Wm. Blackman, both in 1808. --- Robinson built the first sawmill, in 1808; Abaz Luce opened the first store, in 1819, and Jos. Carpenter the first inn, in 1812. The first school was taught by Freelove Johnson, in 1810.
(3)Evang. Luth., 2 M.E., Disciples, Ger. Meth., Presb., and R.C.
J.H. French, Gazetteer of the State of New York (Syracuse, New York: R. Pearsall Smith, 1860), p. 291 - 292.
George Thomas Apfel
Erie County New York GenWeb Home