Antwerp, Jefferson, NY
Bacon, Lewis & Nutting Biographies
|The American Local History Network is a central point of entry to independent web sites with genealogical and/or historical content.|
|Many thanks to Holice B. Young for the many
hours she has dedicated to transcribing this work for researcher enjoyment. Thanks
for sharing your talents, Holice!
L. A. BACON
Among the esteemed citizens whose names grace the pages of this history may be mentioned the subject of this sketch. His father was a native of Massachusetts, and was born in April, 1783. Was a carpenter and joiner, and assisted in building the first farm building ever built in Watertown. He married Miss Lucy Morton, about 1805, by whom he had ten children. She was born in Massachusetts, in 1787. While a young man, Mr. Bacon emigrated to Lowville, Lewis county. About 1821 he settled in Antwerp, on the farm now owned by Smith Fuller. After coming to Antwerp Mr. B. did not follow his trade, but farmed it. In 1827 he settled on the farm now owned by his son, Leonard A. He died in 1859, and his wife in August, 1860. They were members of the Baptist church. In politics he was a Democrat until the organization of the Republican Party.
Leonard A. Bacon was born in Antwerp, Jefferson County, New York, April 13, 1826. His advantages for an education were limited, but by reading and reflection he has a good business education. He is particularly fond of mathematics.
At the age of twenty-one he commenced business for himself by making charcoal. Soon his brother died, and his parents wished him to come home, which he did. When he commenced farming he had but twenty-five acres and one cow; to-day he owns six hundred acres, and is milking sixty-six cows, and has milked even more. He is the owner of two farm-houses and six barns. He married Miss Alvira Fuller, of Antwerp, November 28, 1854. She was born October 4, 1830. Mr. Bacon was a Democrat until the re-election of Mr. Lincoln, since which time he has been a Republican. Mr. Bacon enjoys the confidence of his fellow-townsmen, and has been elected to the office of assessor for five consecutive years, and is holding the same to-day. Whatever Mr. Bacon has is due to industry and economy.
ASHER AND NANCY LEWIS
Among the pioneer families of this county the Lewis family may be mentioned. In November, 1810, Mr. Lewis and wife and little daughter, nine months old, emigrated from Petersburg to Antwerp. They located on what is known as the "Lewis Farm."
Their first cabin was twelve by fourteen feet without fire-place. At one end of the cabin was a stone wall, against which the fire was built, the end of the cabin being left open to let the smoke escape, and every night it rained or snowed it would put out the fire, and the family was obliged to go to the neighbors for fire, as there wre no matches in those days. In the following spring a small room was added to afford sleeping-apartments for jobbers. In this rude structure eight persons lived and enjoyed life. After two years, Mr. Lewis built a log house, eighteen by twenty-five. This was much more convenient. Here Mr. Lewis and wife reared seven children to industry and frugality. They had to yard their stock every night, as wolves and panthers were very thick, and would often come very near the house.
Mrs. Lewis made all the clothes for her family out of flax and wool. It was difficult in those days to get money to pay even the taxes, and more than once land had to be sold to pay them; but time brought changes to this happy home. Next was a frame building, and ere they had enjoyed its comforts many years, Mr. Lewis was called to his long home, June 28, 1859, leaving the care of the family to his wife. He was about sixty years of age when he died. After a few more years the youngest in the family, a daughter, was called. She was the mother of four sons, two of whom still live. Of the remaining six children in the Lewis family, all are settled in life; two are in Illinois, one in Delaware, and two in the state of New York, and the daughter, now Mrs. Hall, is living on the old farm.
One of the sons was a soldier in the War of the Rebellion for three years, was a preacher for eleven months in Cahawba, Alabama. During the war the Lewis farm passed into the hands of C. G. Hall, and during the years of 1869-70, he built his present fine residence, a view of which, together with the portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis, may be seen in another part of this work.
HIRAM T. NUTTING
The subject of our sketch was born at Hartford, Connecticut, in 1816. His father was a native of the same place, and was born in 1782, and emigrated to the town of Antwerp in 1820, in company with his wife and two children, Hiram T, and Mary. He died in 1827, and his wife in 1837.
Hiram T., was reared a farmer, which occupation he still follows. He commenced life very poor, but, by industry and frugality he has acquired a competency. He married Mary Ann Gates, daughter of E. Gates, in 1843. She died in 1862, leaving a family of six children. Mr. Nutting married for his second wife the sister (Sarah) of his first, in1864. She died in May, 1872. In 1848 Mr. Nutting bought the farm he now lives upon, a view of which, together with portraits of himself and wives, may be seen elsewhere in this work. Mr. Nutting is one of the substantial and worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Antwerp.(Jefferson County History, L. H. Everts, 1878)
Transcribed by Holice B.Young
Html by Debbie
December 26, 1999