Clayton, Jefferson, NY

nyhis.gif (9063 bytes)

The American Local History Network is a central point of entry to independent web sites with genealogical and/or historical content.
Many thanks to Holice B. Young for the many hours she has dedicated to transcribing this work for researcher enjoyment. Thanks for sharing your talents, Holice!

frnsln2.gif (6333 bytes)

Clayton

A retrospective of three-quarters of a century carries us back to he earliest settlement of what now constitutes the town of Clayton. We are informed, on reliable authority,that the first permanent settlement was perfected inn Clayton, in 1801 or 1802, by one Bartlett, at a place that still bears the name of Bartlett’s Point, and situate about one mile from Clayton village. He had been placed there by Smith & Delamater, land agents of Chaumont, to keep a ferry to Gananoque, Canada, but, after staying a year or two, set fire to his house, as tradition has it, and ran away by its light. (Jefferson County History, L. H. Everts, 1878)

   Search this site                 powered by FreeFind
 

frnsln2.gif (6333 bytes)

69 visitors before new counter installed 12/30/99

Transcribed by Holice B.Young

Html by Debbie

December 26, 1999

[Jefferson County ALHN][NY ALHN]

mute108logo.jpg (8440 bytes)

cg(1).gif (3992 bytes)