following narrative was written by Jonathan
A. Haddock and appeared in his 1894 history of Jefferson County
entitled "Growth of a Century":
Harbor Presbyterian Church was organized February 12, 1816, and
T. Woolsey, Samuel Bosworth,
Samuel F. Hooker, Elisha
Camp, and Enoch Ely
were the first trustees. Meetings were held in the school-house
until their first church edifice was erected in 1820, at which
time the trustees were Josiah Bacon,
Amos Catlin, George
Camp, L. Dennison,
J.V. Bacon, J.
G. Parker and S. Johnson.
the great fire of August 23, 1843, their church building was destroyed,
and in 1848 a new brick structure was erected by the following
trustees: W.R. Stow, R.S.
Robbins, Jason Phelps,
H. Cook, S.
A. Hudson, Walter Kimball,
and George Camp. The original
cost of this structure was $6,000. It will comfortably seat 400
persons, and is valued, including grounds and other church property,
at about $8,000."
chapel adjoining the church was erected, in 1879, by Walter
B. Camp, and dedicated on Christmas, at which time
it was presented as a clear gift to the church society by the
generous builder. R. R. Webber
is the present pastor. The present membership of the society is
about 90. Since the organization of the Sunday school, in 1817,
it has had but three superintendentsGeorge
Camp, Jason Phelps
B. Camp. The latter held the position for many
first church building Haddock spoke of was at the northwest corner
of West Washington St. and Broad St. The second edifice he spoke
of was a Greek Revival structure constructed at the southeast corner
of East Main St. and Broad St., which is one block north and across
the street from the original site.
five years after Haddock published his account, the "new" church
of 1848 was entirely consumed in the great fire of April 3, 1899.
The Lombardesque-style structure that stands today was erected the
following next year on the same spot by Watertown designer D.
D. Kieff, with the assistance of builders Haley, Ward, &
Co. of New York City. The new building included stained glass windows
by Tiffany, and bell chimes salvaged from the previous structure
that had been a gift in 1894 from Marietta Pickering Hay,
daughter of Capt. Augustus Pickering, whose house
now functions as a museum.
1915-1920 the Hay Memorial Library was added on the Broad St. side
of the church in identical architectural style by the family of
Marietta P. Hay. Today, construction has begun on the first
ever expansion for the library, according to historical reproduction
to 1890, merchant and former stagecoach driver Emmanuel
"Manuel" Jeffrey was appointed sexton of the Presbyterian
Church, and when the new edifice was erected in 1900 Manuel became
responsible for maintaining the tower and winding the big clock.
He resigned in January 1921, and thereafter served as church trustee.
Sackets Harbor Presbyterian Church celebrates its centennial
on the weekend of August 26-27th, 2000. Renowned organist John Weaver,
Chair of the Organ Department at the Julliard School of Music will
on the organ installed 2 August 1900, which retains its original
pipes. Booklets and CD-ROMs describing the history of the stained
galss windows will be sold and tours will be given of the bell tower