house is located on the Black River at Foster Park Road, a left
turn off of Route 180 just before the road crosses the river over
to Dexter. The land extends out to form the south shore of Black
River Bay. Foster Park Road runs level for a stretch, then goes
down a hill and after leveling out, shows a hill in the left forward
quadrant. On the top of this hill sits the Foster farmhouse.
the center of the 1864 land owners map below, it is shown under
the name of his son, John ("J. Broadbent").
was built by Thomas
Broadbent (at right)
just before the Civil War. He was born 22 October 1810 at
Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England, son of Samuel
Broadbent and Sarah Whitehead,
and emigrated to the United States as a boy. On 7 October
1832 in Massachusetts, he married Esther
Pond Carroll, born 4 January 1814 in Walpole, Massachusetts,
daughter of Joseph Carroll and
establishing his family in Southbridge, Massachusetts, Thomas took
several trips by horseback to Jefferson County, New York to evaluate
opportunities there. In 1847 he removed the family there to a house
on Lodi Hill, just over the river from Dexter village in Hounsfield.
He worked in the textile mills, accumulated land in the vicinity
and eventually established the farm at the end of what is now Foster
Park Rd. on the Hounsfield side of the river, which consisted of
1882, a wing was added to the rear of the house, containing a kitchen,
pantry, and woodshed. In 1895, the gable and front porch were constructed.
Electricity was installed in the 1930's, though heating methods
remained unchangedthe kitchen range and coal stoves in the
parlor and dining rooms.
later moved on to Anoka County, Minnesota, but returned in his later
years after his wife died there on 9 August 1884. He died 7 February
1903 at the farm in Hounsfield and was buried in the Dexter cemetery.
the war, his daughter, Emily
(at right) married
Albert Foster (at left)
and they took over the farm. Foster was a veteran of two enlistments,
having been wounded twice and having received a battlefield promotion
to Lieutenant, serving as an aide to Gen.
Joseph Hawley. The couple raised a family of four boys
and two girls on the farm, Foster was elected commander of the Julius
Broadbent Post, GAR, (named after Emily's brother, killed
at Antietam), served as highway commisioner and justice of the peace
for Hounsfield and twice was a candidate for supervisor of that
Albert and Emily's deaths, the farm remained in the family and was
operated by their son, J. Hawley Foster
until the 1970's. It remained pretty much in its original state,
with its outhouse, cistern and kitchen hand pump until it was finally
sold. The new owners have purportedly made substantial improvements.