following photographs were taken 8 October 2007 in the Purpura
Corners neighborhood of the Town of Hounsfield, Jefferson
County, New York, by Mark
They depict one
of four schoolhouses in the area erected in the 1830's,
built from limestone donated by Elisha
Camp from his quarry at Chaumont.
schoolhouse was built in 1837, according to signage. It
is labeled "S.H." on an 1855 map, "S.H. No.
20" on Beers' 1864 map, and "S.H. No.17"
on Robinson's 1887 map. Today it is used for storage and
is private property.
Please feel free
to download these photos and enjoy them!
photo showing location of Purpura schoolhouse just north
of Pennock Rd., which first appears on the 1887 map above.