From “The History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York”
by James H. Smith (D. Mason & Co. - Syracuse, New York 1880)
EATON*, located near the center of Madison Co., is bounded on the north by Smithfield and Stockbridge, on the east by Madison, on the south by Lebanon, on the west by Nelson, and was organized Feb. 6, 1807, being set off from Hamilton. At its organization its area was called 28,000 acres, but in 1879 the assessed area is reported to be 25,547 acres. The surface, comprised largely in the valley of the Chenango river, which flows through the town diagonally from the north-east corner, gives a variety of slopes and bottom lands, the former of which bear clayey and gravelly soils, the latter a lighter loam. In the northern part the slope of the elevation is toward the north, and the drainage is into the St Lawrence. The minerals of the town are not abundant or important, the stone ledges lie deep and are difficult of access. Brittle shale abounds in the south, large quantities of which have been used in the construction of roads. In the vicinity of Eaton are a number of surface mineral springs, whose principal ingredient is Sulphur, and underground inlets give a sulphurous element to the waters of some of the small lakes. More valuable than the tinctured waters are the innumerable fresh springs that everywhere add value to the pasturage and for years have turned the wheel of fortune for Eaton; the waterwheel. Next to the Chenango river, the town's chief stream is Eaton brook, known in literature as Alder brook***. Finding its source in the town of Nelson, it flows easterly through the southern part of Eaton, expanded here and there into mill-ponds, and empties into the river at Eaton village. Leland's Ponds, and Woodman's Pond, three picturesque bodies with a surface aggregating 325 acres and an average depth of 48 feet, have been utilized in modern times ** to supply the Chenango canal, which curves into the town for a short distance in the south-eastern corner. To the same purpose is devoted the flow from Hatch's Lake and Bradley Brook Pond in the south-western corner. These waters formerly were fruitful in fish of various sorts and the lakes still yield good bass and pickerel.
* Named in honor of General William Eaton, [1764-1811], a Revolutionary soldier, consul at Tunis and afterwards commander of the U. S. forces and fleet in the Barbary States. Returning in 1806, the hero of the war against Tripoli for the rescue of the captive Americans, he took up his residence at Brimfield, Mass., where he found many admirers, among them a large number of those who were about to move westward into central New York.
** Converted into reservoir about 1836.
*** See Alder brook Tales, by Fanny Forester.
Maple is the prevailing timber, and it grows luxuriantly, yielding an abundance of sugar and syrup. For a half century dairying has been a leading industry, and at present it surpasses all other branches of agriculture in extent and profit. Until about 1850, cattle raising was carried on extensively, and quite large tracts were sown with grain. Both these departments have lately declined and at present (1880) the wheat grown in the town is but a small fraction of the amount consumed.
Eaton has the distinction of having first introduced into the County the cheese factory and creamery system, which in the course of twenty years has produced a complete revolution in farm life, emancipating the women of the farmer's family from their heaviest labor.
The first cheese factory in the County seems to have been built in the autumn of 1861 at Eaton village, by George Morse, son of Ellis, and it has been in operation ever since. There are at present in operation, making both cheese and butter, eight factories under the management of J. B. Wadsworth, located as follows: Morrisville, Williams' Corners, Hatch's Lake, West Eaton, Eaton, Pecksport, Pine Woods, Pratt's Hollow, and one at Eaton operated by Albert W. Morse.
Eaton also was first in the field with hay rakes and mowing machines. The first hay rake was used by Elijah Morse as early as 1835. It was in principle the same as the wooden rake of the present day, and differed from the latter in form only in having the frame-work narrower and the parts made of bent wood instead of jointed. A large crowd assembled to see it started, and in the absence of instructions the opinion prevailed that it was to be operated with the teeth standing upright. The rake cost $15.
Elijah Morse and James McConnell brought the first mowing-machine into the County. They bought it of the inventor, Enoch Ambler, of Root, Montgomery Co., price, $65. This was in June, 1840 or 1841. The machine was known as the "Ambler." It possessed all the elements of the present successful machine; the gearing, the open cap-guard, except the scalloped knife. The knife being straight-edged, vibrating as in the present machine, performed its work so long as the keen edge remained, but on the slightest blunting it refused to cut at all. Parts of this original machine are still to be seen at the farm whereon it was used. (Hussey subsequently introduced the scalloped knife into this same combination of parts and succeeded with his invention.) It was not until 1852 that Eaton* had another mowing-machine. This was brought from Buffalo by Albert W. Morse and used on the farm at present occupied by him. It was the "Ketchum" machine, manufactured by General Howard. It cost $110 and was in constant use ten seasons.
* The year before this Ezra Gage, of DeRuyter, had purchased one of these machines, the first successful one in the County.
The farms of the town are generally kept in good condition, and good land is readily sold at $60 to $100 per acre. A farm of 242 acres was recently sold at $100 per acre, one-half mile east of Morrisville. Few farms in the town exceed 250 acres of improved land. The farm-houses and barns are mostly neat, commodious, and many elegant. The country is well wooded; groves of stately maples have been preserved on nearly every farm. In many localities the main highways are shaded by rows of trees. The road from Morrisville to Eaton presents a most picturesque appearance along the line of Mr. James McConnell's farm not inferior to the avenues of New Haven, famous for their arching elms. These trees were planted in 1839 by Mr. McConnell, and not one is missing for the space of a mile.
Agricultural products of Eaton in 1874: Of hay, 9,742 tons from 7,001 acres; of wheat, 3,828 bushels, from 260 acres; of oats, 49,461 bushels, from 1,371 acres; of corn 25,984 bushels, from 719 acres; of buckwheat, 1,382 bushels from 73 acres; of barley, 3,973 bushels, from 151 acres; of beans 685 bushels, from 47 acres; of potatoes, 35,518 bushels from 256 acres, of apples, 30,278 bushels, from 23,144 trees; grapes, 329 pounds; cider, 462 barrels; maple syrup, 734 gallons; maple sugar, 12,339 pounds; hops, 410,459 pounds, from 664 acres; wool 4,925 pounds, from 947 sheep.
Amount and value of farms and farm property, cost of fertilizers, value of products, etc., in 1875: Improved land, 20,671 acres; unimproved land, 4,135 acres; other land, 1,193 acres; value of farms, $1,815,780; value of buildings, $264,190; value of stock, $235,768; value of tools, $62,035; value of products sold, $312,954; cost of fertilizers, $1,104.
Eaton's roads are well kept. The principal thoroughfares are the two turnpike roads, the Skaneateles turnpike traversing the southern end of the town and the Cherry Valley turnpike extending from Albany to Buffalo and passing across Eaton's northern half and through Morrisville. The former of these great enterprises was finished just before the close of the 18th century, and the latter was commenced in 1803, and completed through Eaton in 1808. The building of these roads gave to Madison County enterprise its greatest impulse, and the activity of the decade following is distinctly remembered by all who witnessed it. The oldest road in the County was the "old State road," referred to in legal papers, but now almost forgotten by the people. It entered the town near the Leland ponds, wended in a northwesterly direction over the hills, and entered the village of Morrisville, near the old Thos. Holt place. Passing between the mill pond and the Cherry Valley road, it went on over the west hillside, where traces of it may still be seen. Through the towns of Nelson and Cazenovia it is in places identical with the turnpike, and in other places it is entirely lost sight of for miles. It was by this road that all the early settlers came into Eaton. The "Peterboro road" running from Hamilton to Canastota north and south, almost directly through the center of the County, was laid out in 1812, and built by County aid. A charter was subsequently granted to a plank-road company, and after the lapse of this a stone-road charter was granted, which is still in force over a part of the line. The only toll gate remaining in the town is upon this road, near Morrisville.
In 1868, Eaton was bonded for $150,000, in aid of the N. Y. & O. Midland railroad, which passes through the town in a line two miles east from Morrisville, and a half mile east from Eaton village. Eaton received $7,000 for her shares on the sale of the road to the N. Y., Ontario & Western R. R. Co. The town is traversed for a short distance in the south-eastern corner by the Utica, Clinton & Binghamton Railroad.
The first systematic instruction given in the town was commenced in December, 1797, by Dr. James Pratt, who was also the first physician. In a double sense he was an itinerant, for he not only "boarded around," but carried the school also from place to place, month by month. The first month this school was held near Eaton, at Joseph Morse's, the next at Joshua Leland's, the next at Thomas Morris'. The first school-house in the town was built near the residence of Dr. Pratt, at the "Center."
The first recorded apportionment of public school money was in 1818, when Eaton's share was $129.25. Eaton voted not to repeal the free school law in 1850 by 348 to 325. The school report for school year 1879 shows that school was held in nineteen districts twenty-eight weeks or more; number of licensed teachers employed, eight male and thirty-one female; whole number of children of school age, 1,109; whole number enrolled as regular attendants, 888; number of volumes in school libraries, 678; value of school property, $22,420; amount paid to teachers, $5,537.02; amount paid for other expenses, $867.88; total, $6,404.90; amount received for school purposes, $6,597.52. [See also "Schools" under "Morrisville" and "Eaton."]
Joshua Leland may be called the first settler in Eaton, though he was preceded a few months by John and James Salisbury, brothers, from Vermont, who, in the autumn of 1792, located within the borders of the town, on lot 94, and commenced a clearing, but were driven away in early winter by the intense cold and did not return.
Joshua Leland, great-grandson of Henry Leland [Layland], who came from England in 1652, was born in Sherburne, Mass., in 1741, and in 1793, migrated to Eaton, where he commenced clearing a farm. He was soon joined by John H. and Benjamin Morris, who assisted him in his work. In the autumn of that year he returned to Massachusetts, and in the spring of 1794 brought his family to the new homestead, which the Morrises had improved during the winter. This was on lot 94, the place now known as the Dunbar farm. His family consisted of his wife, Waitstill Greenwood; a lady of rare beauty, twenty years his junior, and five small children. The journey was most difficult, and when within a few miles of their destination the wheels of their conveyance stuck fast in the mud. Mr. Leland was obliged to go on in advance and obtain the assistance of the Morrises. The place in which the carts stuck, afterwards (1795) became the family homestead, and the locality is known to this day as Leland's Pond. Joshua was the first hotel keeper in Eaton and one of the first in the County. His family residence, (now superseded by Mr. Dunbar's on the same site,) furnished a home for homeless settlers and for travelers during his occupancy of it, and immediately upon removing to the ponds he erected a large house, (the foundation of which may still be seen,) and opened it for public accommodation. Besides travelers this house attracted to itself hosts of Indians, who at times became so troublesome that the family were often obliged to feign absence from home to rid themselves of annoyance. After the death of the landlord these sometimes unwelcome guests manifested the deepest sorrow. It is related that one afternoon a company of eighty or more requested to be shown their dead friend's grave, and there mourned and cried as children. Besides keeping the first hotel in the town he built and operated the first mill, at the foot of the upper lake. This was in 1795, and the same year he added a saw-mill. To obtain sufficient water-power a dam was built which overflowed a large tract of low ground causing it to breed malaria. After one or two seasons the town authorities bought the mills and destroyed the dam. Mr. Leland thereupon became the first manufacturer also, as for a period of five years he continued to amass wealth in the production of potash from the abundant forests on his possessions. He was killed June 22, 1810, while drawing a load of potash to Albany by the barrels containing it, which rolled upon him in descending a hill in Cherry Valley. His body was buried in the family plot on the homestead, where his grave may still be seen.
Mr. Leland was well educated at Sherburne and had a taste for astronomy. He was fond of military science also, and was made colonel of militia in his native State. He served as a volunteer in the Revolution. To his family he left a large estate, about one-eighth of all the land in the town.
No account of his character would be complete without a list of his first six sons' names, the initials of which will strike the reader as forming a familiar series of letters: Amasa, Ezra, Isaac, Orrison, Uriah, Yale. The seventh son was called Joshua and three daughters, Phebe, Sylvia and Juliette. Yale alone remains at this day; he is well known as an upright business man in Madison. Amasa died in 1843, leaving one son; Ezra died in 1877, leaving Leonard and Ann J. (widow of Davis T. King) residents of Morrisville; Isaac died in 1816, unmarried; Orrison died at Northfield, Mich., leaving six children; Uriah left six daughters; Phebe died in infancy; Sylvia (Mrs. James Howard,) died in 1864, leaving nine children; and Joshua died in 1877, at Ann Arbor, Mich., leaving five children. The old Colonel's fame has been emulated by his many descendants, who have filled honorable places in society and his children down to the fourth and fifth generation are to this day proud of their ancestor from Sherburne, the first of Eaton's pioneers.
On the invitation of their townsman Leland, other Sherburne men, viz: Benj. Morse, Simeon Gillette, Levi Bonney, Elijah Haydon, Dan'l and Alby, came and took up land in the vicinity of Eaton's site. The same year (1795,) the settlement was reinforced by a birth; Sawen, son of Benjamin and Deborah Morse*.
* It is erroneously recorded that Uriah Leland was the first white child born in Eaton; he was born before his mother left Massachusetts, Nov. 1, 1793.
The first death in the little community was that of Simeon Gillett, which occurred in 1796 and the same year witnessed the first marriage, that of his daughter, Dorcas, with one Lewis Wilson, a new-comer from the east. In 1796 came Samuel Sinclair, Joseph Moss, Wm. Mills, Humphrey Palmer, Deacon McCrellis and others whose names are lost. Sinclair at once became prominent as a hotel keeper, succeeding Col. Leland at the old place. The Morse family has left a deep impress upon society. The descendants who have acquired most fame in Eaton are Ellis and Calvin, sons of Joseph, the former of whom, [1789-1869,] a scholar and a man of large business capacity, was one of the earliest public officers of the town and continued to hold an important position in society until his death. His fine old stone residence built in 1819, venerable but in no degree dilapidated and resembling closely some of the mansions of the old world, bears witness to the taste and activity which characterized him and all the family; the latter, (Calvin,) born June 3, 1799, at present the oldest native resident of the town, has been hardly less conspicuous in public affairs. Besides many local offices of less importance, he was in 1842 Member of Assembly from Madison County. Among his intimate associates were Horatio Seymour and Sanford E. Church, both serving their first terms. Calvin Morse at this day is totally free from the decrepitude of age and retains the faculty of memory in a remarkable degree. A younger brother, Joseph, went to Pennsylvania in 1826, resided first in Bradford County, and subsequently in McKean County, where he did a large business in iron manufacture and oil production. He was elected sheriff and County judge, and died about 1870. A sister, Eunice, was the wife of Dr. James Pratt, and after his death she commenced pioneer life again in Missouri, with her children. Bigelow moved to Onondaga County, (Fabius,) Alpheus resided in Eaton and accumulated a fortune in manufacturing, which was subsequently lost about 1873 by the failure of his large woolen mill at Alderbrook, during the general panic. He is now a resident of Syracuse. These were the children of Joseph Morse, who died at his old home, Sherburne, Mass., while on a business visit there. Among his grandchildren are General Henry B. Morse, who enlisted as a volunteer in 1861, after the war went to Hot Springs, was elected Circuit Judge and died there in 1874; Alfred A., who while a student in Hamilton College, class of '64, enlisted and fell in the battle of Winchester; Rev. Andrew P., pastor of the Presbyterian church at Wyoming, N. Y.; Walter, member of the firm of Wood, Tabor & Morse; Gardner, of Eaton village, manufacturer, miller, town clerk, who sat in the Assembly from Madison County in 1866; Darwin and Frank B., merchants in Eaton; Belinda and Eliza, the latter assistant principal of Vassar College; Albert W., scientific farmer and inventor of important mowing machine improvements. Benjamin of the two original Morse settlers, remained in Eaton during his life time and is buried here. Nearly all of his descendants have removed to the west, including Sawen, Eaton's first child.
Hezekiah came later, but in time to take an active part in the growth of the new settlement. He was elected supervisor in 1809, and held the position about 12 years. He was deeply interested in all movements for education, and it would have been gratifying to him to have foreknown that a grand-daughter of his was to become the helpful wife of the President of Vassar College, the late Dr. John Raymond. Hezekiah removed to Oxford, N. Y., and spent his last days with his son Alpha.
The oldest resident of Eaton village is Thaxter Dunbar, who came with his father from the east in June, 1799, and is 96 years of age. He likewise remembers the old times with great distinctness, and feels a youthful interest in the world of to-day. He has voted 75 years without omission.
Of the two Morrises, who came in 1793 with Joshua Leland, little is known. They probably removed farther south the first season. Their brother Thomas, who came in 1797, built his first log house where Dr. Mead's store now stands, and his first frame house on the site of Otis P. Granger's. Mr. Morris did not seek political influence or office. He died April 27, 1824. His wife survived him many years. No lineal descendants remain in the place who bear the family name, and the name seldom occurs in the County.
Another family of conspicuous pioneers were the Comans; Benjamin, Windsor, Stephen and Ziba, who came in 1797, and settled in the vicinity of the "Center," where they put forth every effort to centralize the growth of the town's prosperity, but finally yielded to the inevitable when it became evident that the business of the town must center at points on the turnpikes. They were cosmopolitan in their sympathies, and felt an interest in all the concerns of Eaton, in whatever locality. Their names appear frequently in the records in connection with politics, business and education. Benjamin died in 1852, aged 71; Stephen died Jan. 7, 1870, and was at the time of his death perhaps the oldest native born resident. Their graves and the graves of several members of the family are in the Morrisville cemetery. Windsor and Ziba were buried at the Center, and no trace of their graves is now discoverable.
The name is still perpetuated in a number of active citizens. Ellis Coman, son of Benjamin, died and was buried in Eaton in 1879.
A large number of names would have to be added if a complete catalogue of early settlers were intended, or even a complete list of those who entered the town before the beginning of the present century. The foregoing families are types of the various classes of people that came to subdue the forest and plant civilization. With the second decade of the 19th century, commenced the constructive period, and the men who came into the town from 1810 to 1830 were types of a somewhat different class.
Bennett Bicknell was the representative pioneer merchant and financier. He was born in Mansfield, Conn., in 1781. He received a good education, and at the age of about 25 started westward to make a home in the forests of New York. On his way from Albany he stayed a short time in Utica, which was a mere handful of houses, and engaged in the manufacture of combs. Arriving in Morrisville in 1808, he at once entered into manufacturing, (the first comb factory was built by him,) merchandizing and hotel keeping. The wealth, which he brought with him, he used freely, not only in his own business and in public improvements, but in loans to his neighbors who were in need of capital. Though Morrisville was the special locality which claimed his citizenship and to whose growth he contributed most freely, the entire town felt the beneficial influence of his wisdom and activity. Four years after his arrival (1812) he was elected to the Assembly by a large majority in the County, and two years later he represented the district, comprising the present 22d, 23d, 24th and 25th Senatorial districts, in the State Senate. In 1836 he was elected to Congress from the 23d district, (Madison and Onondaga,) on the Democratic ticket. Among other offices that he filled was that of County Clerk for five years, first by appointment and afterwards by election. In the State militia he held the rank of Captain, and was brevetted Major, which title became a fixed part of his name. He died June 16, 1841, and was buried in the Morrisville cemetery. His son Moses succeeded to the vacant place in business and society, and was an influential citizen. He died June 2, 1869, aged 64. Other children died in early life.
The same year, 1808, came the progenitor of the Darrow family, the members of which, while they have not risen to high positions in office, have, as successful farmers in West Eaton, and as men of unflinching integrity, impressed the community by their righteous example as well as benefiting it by active participation in all movements for the improvement of society. David Darrow descended from an old Scotch family, came to West Eaton from New Lebanon, N. Y., where he had received a good education and married. He was poor and had been unfortunate in the accumulation of a heavy debt to the physicians through a serious illness of two years. Being an admirer and a disciple of Benjamin Franklin, he heeded the old philosopher's "advice to those in debt," funded all bills by notes bearing interest, and set out to earn the money with which to redeem his notes. Twelve years were required to save the amount above the expenses of maintaining his family; but when the sum was secured he went immediately to the old home and paid every penny. This circumstance his descendants are proud to relate, and they value the trait of integrity in their ancestor more highly than they would value a record of political achievement. His integrity and industry resulted in thrift, and at the time of his death, Nov. 5, 1870, he was the possessor of a large tract of good farm land, which he bequeathed to his sons and daughters, a good farm for each.
Another family of farmers known for thrift and integrity was that of Thomas Lumbard, who came from Hampden County, Mass., in 1803, and settled near Eaton village. He was a Revolutionary soldier, having served seven years. After five years' residence in Eaton he removed to Smithfield and died there April 30, 1813. His family of nine children has accumulated wealth by rigid industry. His oldest daughter, widow of the late Dr. W. P. Cleveland, is probably the oldest person in the town, being almost 98, lives a mile from Morrisville. She is now, (June, 1880,) active and cheerful, with a vivid recollection of early experiences. Jacob, aged 92, resides in Cortland County; Daniel, aged 85, and Margaret, aged 84, reside in Chautauqua County. The present post-master in Morrisville is a great-grandson of Thos. Lumbard.
The first town officers were Robert Avery, Supervisor; David Gaston, Clerk; Martin Roberts, Collector; Josiah Wilcox, Pound-keeper; Ziba Coman, Benjamin Morse and John Hall, Assessors; Hezekiah Morse and Abram Ellis, Poor Masters; Seth Hitchcock, John Pratt and Robert Avery, Highway Commissioners; Martin Roberts and Nathan Mixer, Constables.
This election was held March 3, 1807, in the Center school-house, and Simeon Gillett was made moderator. A resolution was passed (unconstitutional) prohibiting hogs from running at large on the commons, from May 15 until November 1, and rams from September 1 until November 15, under a penalty of $5.
Windsor Coman, Supervisor, and David Gaston, Town Clerk, were elected the second year, (March 1, 1808). At a meeting held March 5, 1811, a resolution was passed (unconstitutional) compelling every farmer to cut all Canada thistles growing on his land in the "old of the moon" in the months of June and August, under penalty of $10, after three days' notice, and all Canada burdocks growing on his land under penalty of $10 fine, after having three days' notice of there being such burdocks growing on his land.
Officers of the town of Eaton for the year 1880-'81
Supervisor Alex. M. Holmes
Town Clerk Willie W. Palmer
Justices of the Peace Arthur Foote, F. L. Briggs, E C. Philpot, John H. Northrup
Assessors Lewis R. Slocum, Thomas Duffy, Alvin Wadsworth
Highway Commissioner Leonard Leland
Overseers of the Poor Jesse Parker, Edwin O. White
Constables Herbert G. Curtis, Edwin P. Storrs, Thomas Ferguson, Henry Westcott, Lewis Aldrich
Collector Henry H. Goslee
Inspectors of Election
District No. 1 Joseph Tooke, George L. Choate, Henry S. Phelps
District No. 2 S. Allen Curtis, E. L. Miller, George White
District No. 3 H. W. Mann, W. L. Fleming, Wm. Dunbar
Game Constable Morah M. Jones.
Excise Commissioner Dwight Colson.
The town paid a tax of $193.46 (of which $55.83 was for County expenses, $137.63 for town expenses,) the first year of its existence--1807. The total assessed valuation was $111,663. In 1808 the town expenses were the lightest ever known; $84.66. The collector's fees amounted to $7.66, and the treasurer's fees, to $1.45. In 1868, before the bonding of the town for railroad stock, the town expenses were $2,152.65. In 1879 the town expenses were $15,547. The total debt by report of 1879 was $148,900; in 1878 it was $149,700. The first assessment of personal property was $21,804, in 1815. The present assessment is: Real estate, $1,308,750; personal estate, $313,550.
Until 1875 there were two election districts, separated by a line drawn east and west across the town. To accommodate the many factory employ‚s of West Eaton, the southern district was divided by a north and south line. In 1850 the number of votes cast at the general election was 730, of which the Democratic candidates received 331 and the Whigs 351; since that time the Republican ticket has been elected, and in 1879 the total vote was 902.
The population since 1845 has been as follows:
The continual decrease in population since 1855 is attributed to the large emigration westward that set in after the manufacturing interests began to decline; and that is encouraged still by the almost uniform prosperity of Eaton people who have gone into the western states.
SUPERVISORS OF THE TOWN OF EATON
Robert Avery, 1807; Joseph Morse, 1808-'09; Hezekiah Morse, 1810-'15; Bennett Bicknell, 1816-'17; Windsor Coman, 1818; Bennett Bicknell, 1819; Rufus Eldred, 1820-'21; Samuel W. Osgood, 1822; Stephen Fitch, 1823; Artemas Ellis, 1824-'25; David Gaston, 1826-'27; Robert Henry, 1828-'31; Uriah Leland, 1832-'35; Perley Munger, 1836; George Ellis, 1837; Windsor Coman, 1838; Ichabod Amidon, 1839-'41; Moses Bicknell, 1842-'43; Windsor Coman, 1844; Yale Leland, 1845-'46; Ellis Morse, 1847-'50; Hiram D. Cloyes, 1851-'52; Ambrose Y. Smith, 1853-'54; Calvin Morse, 1855-'56; Francis H. Stevens, 1857; Albert W. Morse, 1858-'59; Benj. F. Coman, 1860-'61; Edward C. Philpot, 1862-'63; Horace M. Kent, 1864; George E. Morse, 1865-'66; Alexander M. Holmes, 1867-'80.
Eaton furnished for the service of the Union in the war of the Rebellion 150 volunteer soldiers, whose names we give below arranged in the order of their enlistment by years.
Enlisted in 1861: Ebenezer White, Israel O. Foote, Lyman W. Kingman, Otis Tillinghast, A. F. Benjamin, John H. McQuien, L. H. Wald, Martin M. Abby, Mortimer Spring, W. W. Lockesbury, Thomas McEligot, Wm. Ryan, Ed. Ryan, A. Camero, Eli Laird, Lafayette Brigham, M. I. Moses, Wm. P. Grannis, Warren Stevens, John Owens, Oscar Cook, David Ross, Horatio E. Leach, Irving Erskin, D. Graham, Jonathan Wilcox, I. W. French, Peter Lent, H. E. Andrus, S. J. White, Henry Webber.
Enlisted in 1862: John M. McLean, Jas. N. Hockridge, Nelson W. Hockridge, Thomas Roberts, Wm. L. Johnson, John W. Roberts, John Bowen, Chancey Clark, Morris Spring, John Fletcher, Lewis Moses, Mordant Beebe, Wm. V. Jones, Francis Pellet, John Lowe, Barney Ryan, John H. Barrett, John Merritt, A. F. Childs, Amos Avery, E. P. Manter, Henry F. Bates, David E. Bristol, Henry D. Brigham, John D. Fry, Albert S. Norton, Charles H. Isbell, W. Erskin, B. Erskin, Charles A. Hatch, F. A. Leach, Joseph Hughes, Alfred A. Morse, Henry P. Loomis, Wm. Marden, P. A. Davenport, Henry D. Ayer, Wm. H. Reed, Watson Beebe, Jas. A. Tift, Albert Westcott, Charles C. Campbell, A. J. French, E. J. Thomas, John Carroll, E. H. Lewis, Wm. A. Titley, L. C. Wellington, Geo. M. Hockridge.
Enlisted in 1863: Denison Palmer, John Lines, Chancey E. Childs, Edward Fields, John McKerghan, Henry Jewell, Henry N. Mann, Lewis Carpenter, S. H. Payson, A. James, Bennett Bicknell, Harrison Bicknell, Wm. White, Byron Nash, Oliver Winslow, Francis B. Johnson.
Enlisted in 1864: Oscar W. Stone, Wm. Turner, Charles DeMott, Henry H. Graves, Jason Stevens, E. G. Bonney, A. J. Evert, G. C. Wilber. Henry Wooten, Stanley Westfall, John Fox, Cyrus P. Howard.
Year of enlistment not learned: John O. Rourke, Geo. L. Choate, Joseph Knowlton, Chas. H. Fry, Richard L. Tooke, Edward L. Jones, Wm. E. Enos, A. M. Gear, O. S. Hudson, Fred. Boland, Henry Dizard, I. M. Throop, Wm. Neff, Geo. M. Bosworth, Geo. W. Reynolds, Andrew J. Carpenter, T. S. Smith, Wm. Durffee, D. D. Bartlett, W. W. Cokely, C. A. Hamilton, Geo. H. Bradley, D. D. Chase, Daniel Cary, P. D. Owens, A. W. Chase, J. Stockart, J. Stamfield, Gilbert L. Eastman, Daniel O'Connell, Robert A. Scott, Charles Dopp, Henry I. Isaacs, Joseph Lorringer, Joseph Farrington.