The Town of Hamlin
Union was formed from the town of Clarkson, October 11th, 1852. The name was changed to Hamlin, February 28th 1861, in honor of Hannibal Hamlin, who was inaugurated a few days later, vice-president of the United States. It is the northwest corner town of the county. Salt was manufactured to a limited extent by the early settlers. The first settlement was commenced in 1810 by Aretas Haskell; afterward came Josiah and Samuel Randall from Maine, Stephen Baxter, John Nowlan, Billings and Alanson Thomas. A.D. Raymond kept the first inn, Daniel Pease the first store, and Alanson Thomas built the first mill for LeRoy & Bayard. Among later settlers were a family of Dutchmen named Strunk, settled near the mouth of Sandy Creek, Stephen Baxter, the Wright family on the Parma line. Thomas Hayden, William Hayden, P. Beebe, Joseph Knapp, the Paul and Pixley families, Claeb James, William Clark, Albert Salisbury and others. The Yankee pioneers of this town have been followed by the Germans. The first sawmill was built by Joshua Green, about 1813, and stood on Sandycreek, James Sayres built the second, Aretas Haskell the third. Alanson Thomas built the first gristmill, followed by O.C. Webster and E. K. Webster. The first death was that of Mr. Strunk in 1812. Philander Kane built the first tavern at East Hamlin, about 1830, and the locality became known as Kane's corners. A.D.Raymond opened a tavern at the center in 1842, and south of that hamlet David Look previously kept a hotel. H. Beebe had the first store at the east village and Daniel Pease the first at the Center, while the first postmaster here was Henry Kimball. At East Hamlin the postmaster was Elisha Wheeler, and at East Kendall, Andrew Clark. At Thomasville, North Hamlin, the first postmaster was L. Hovey. Hamlin has never built up a municipality of either size or note, nor have manufacturing industries flourished there, but at the same time it has been a frugal, industrious, agricultural community, and has never had need of any jail or station-house. The first town meeting was held March 1st 1853, at the house of John Patterson, at which time Ebenezer Barringer was elected supervisor. Hamlin has an acreage of 26,443 acres, and its total assessed valuation for 1906 was $1,503,525.
Transcribed by Margaret Steen from History of Rochester and Monroe County, New York Volume 1
By William F. Peck