Montgomery County, New York

This is an independent not-for-profit web site affiliated
with both the American Local History Network (ALHN)
and the American History and Genealogy Project (AHGP).
Both ALHN and AHGP are central points of entry to independent
web sites with genealogical and/or historical content.
 

WELCOME!
You are our 28385th visitor!

Montgomery County Coordinator by Lisa Slaski.

Any comments or suggestions on how to improve this site are always
welcome. However, please keep in mind that we are not historians and
cannot answer specific questions on genealogy or history.

Brief History

This county was formed from Albany, March 12, 1772, under the name of "Tryon Co". Its name was changed April 2, 1784. Ontario was taken off in 1789, Herkimer, Otsego, and Tioga in 1791, Hamilton in 1816, and Fulton in 1838. It lies on both sides of the Mohawk, centrally distant 39 miles from Albany, and contained 436 sq. mi.

The uplands are finely adapted to pasturage, and dairying forms the leading pursuit. Upon the Mohawk Flats immense quantities of broomcorn are raised. There are several important manufactories in the co., consisting chiefly of woolen goods, carpets, paper, agricultural implements, sash and blinds, and castings. Quarrying is extensively carried on. {Stone from these quarries were used in the construction of canal locks and other public works.}

The principal public works are the Erie Canal, extending along the S. side of the Mohawk, and the N. Y. Central R. R., {Formerly "Schenectady & Utica R. R." The Catskill & Canajoharie R. R., Incorp. in 1830, was opened to Cooksburgh from Catskill at a cost of $400,000. In 1842 it was abandoned, the track sold for $11,000 and taken up.} on the N. bank. A wire suspension bridge crosses the Mohawk at Fort Hunter, and wooden bridges at Amsterdam, Fonda, Canajoharie, Fort Plain, and St. Johnsville. An iron bridge was built at Fort Plain, in 1858.

The county seat is located at Fonda, a pleasant village on the Mohawk built on the site of the ancient Dutch settlement of "Caughnawaga."  The courthouse is a fine brick edifice, containing the usual co. offices. The jail is a stone building, adjacent to the courthouse. The co. poorhouse is located upon a farm of 150 acres situated in Glen, about 3 mi. E. of Fonda. The building is old and poor, and has few arrangements for the health, comfort, or convenience of its inmates. The average number of inmates is 125. The farm yields a revenue of $1,000.
 

[Extracted from "Gazetteer of the State of New York", by J. H. French, 1860, the section on Herkimer County.]

Material on this site

Table of Contents
DeedsChurch Records

Links to other sites

Check Out Our Neighboring ALHN Counties
Fulton Hamilton Herkimer Otsego
Saratoga Schenectady Schoharie

You are our 28386th visitor!

This Page Last updated: Saturday, 08-Feb-2014 09:45:08 CST
Copyright © 2000-2014:  Lisa K. Slaski

         

Go To USGenNet

This nonprofit genealogical/historical research site is hosted by USGenNet,
a nonprofit, tax-exempt, public benefit corporation, and is in full compliance
with USGenNet's Conditions of use, including no claim to
the copyrights of individual submitters.