Old Newspaper Collections Project

Rochester Courier, 10/03/1930


Contributed by C. Parziale



Rochester Courier 10/03/1930


The Leavitt Theatre Property Transformed Inside Into a Bower of Beauty Rochester is to have an indoor golf course, which, it is said, will be second to none, in beauty and attractiveness, this side of New York. Fred Couture, proprietor of the Scenic theatre, who a few months since purchased the Leavitt theatre on South main street, has been laying out a small fortune in fitting it up on the ground floor for such use. This building was formerly the residence of the Hon. Summer Wallace and was one of the most beautiful mansions in New Hampshire. Despite the way in which the outside was altered to make the theatre, much of the magni- ficent paneling inside has been preserved.

It was a foundation for an unusual setting for indoor golf. A large force of workers has been engaged in recent weeks, working in relays, and this week six scene painters are decorating the walls and ceilings. There are to be an Egyptian room, a Japanese room, an Indian room and a Dutch room. The walls of each are adorned with appropriate paintings to form a picture of any particular land represented. The Dutch room, for example, not only has the paintings of the canals and dykes but an actual windmill revolving. In the Indian room are pictures of forests and streams, with an Indian paddling a canoe. There is a real waterfall too, with the water flowing down over actual rocks into a series of three basins, with a pool for goldfish at the bottom. One room represents the seashore, the entire wall being one huge painting of the ocean, with a real light house perched up on a promontory, with a light shedding forth its rays. There is also a garden room with a profusion of flowers. There are various rest rooms and seats in plenty everywhere for the onlookers or tired players.

All the floors will be covered with artificial grass. In a conspicuous place is a great pile of stones, with a fountain at the top, out of which a tiny stream trickles down over the rocks in various small channels and little pools. Ferns grow on its sides. There are also in various places tree trunks, some birch with their white bark and other varieties. There will be eighteen holes to the golf course, with various traps and some mysteries. The whole place is certainly a wonderful representation of the great out-of-doors and a veritable dream of loveliness. The grand opening is set for Saturday evening at six o’clock, when Mayor Louis H. McDuffee will press the button and turn on the lights.

Big Grist in Police Court

The following were brought before the Rochester police court last week; For being drunk, Philip Labonte, fined $10 and costs $10.70; Alonzo Newsbit, Weymouth, Mass., fine $5.00 and costs $5.70; Marquest Dynnut, Concord, fined $5.00 and costs $9.50; W.A. Dubois, Concord, fined $5.00 and costs $10.50; W.A. Dubois, Concord, for illegal possession, fined $25.00 and costs $9.50; George Gagne, Gonic, illegal possession, fine and cost suspended, sentence 30 days in jail; Fred Lessard, Rochester Heights, drunk, fined $5.00 and costs $8.22; James O’Brine, Newtonville, Mass., for selling, fine and costs suspended, 30 days in jail; Freeman G. Forster, Natick, Mass., keeping for sale, fine $100 and costs $20; Bernard S. Wolf, Portland, Maine, short weight at fair ground, fined $20 and costs $7.70; Lucien Broucher and Herbert Moulton, Gonic, selling liquor, both fined $100 and costs $5.70, three months in jail, second offence; John Griffin, keeping for sale, fined $50 and costs $14.50; Mary Boulet, keeping for sale, fined $50 and costs $11.14; Wilfred Boulet, keeping for sale, fine $50 and costs $11.14; Ernest Boulet, fugitive from justice, turned over to the Manchester Police.

Another Liquor Case

Claudias Lamontagne of this city was delivering liquor on the streets Saturday afternoon, when he was arrested by Sheriff Davis, Marshal Smith and Special Officer Grant, who found in his possession three gallons of corn whiskey. The officers also went to Barrington at the camp where he resides, and found a large amount of mash, grain and bottles.

In police court Monday morning Lamontagne was fined $50 and costs.

Funeral of Wm. Welch

Funeral services for the late William G. Welch, who suddenly passed away at Harland, Me., were held at the Welch residence, 11 Sherman street, Gonic, Wednesday afternoon and were largely attended by many relatives and friends. Rev. Edwin B. Young officiated and a delegation from Human Lodge of Masons was present. The Masonic burial service was performed with James C. Pringle as worshipful master and John S. Kimball as chaplain. There was a large and beautiful floral tribute. The bearers were Henry Hoey William Lawlor, William Smith, William Wiggin, Thomas Bell and Emilio Beaulieu. Interment was in the family lot in the Rochester cemetery. Funeral arrangements were in charge of Undertaker J.H. Edgerly.

Struck by Train

Perley Young of Newmarket came near losing his life, when his automobile was struck by a train at the second crossing on the Milton road at 10 o’clock Wednesday forenoon. Mr. Young was proceeding north and when within about forty feet of the crossing did not notice the flash signals or hear a whistle, but suddenly noticed the approaching train. He applied his brakes, but finding that he would stop on the crossing, turned his car across the road. The step on the engine struck the front end of the car, ripped of both front wheels, also part of the hood, and dragged the car a short distance. Parts of the car were found all along the track for over 1,000 feet. The train, No. 2916, No. Conway to Portsmouth, was immediately stopped. While Mr. Young was in a dazed condition, badly bruised, with a few cuts, he was able to explain the details of the accident, and did not seem badly injured. Traffic Officer Nelson Hatch was immediately on the scene and after taking measurements made an investigation.

The automobile was completely demolished and no one can understand how Mr. Young escaped alive. Two fatal accidents have occurred at this crossing. Harry R. Foss and Mrs. Fred Webber being the victims.

Kicked by a Horse

George Howard, who works for the local blacksmith, Harry Howard of Hanson street, was kicked in the head Monday while shoeing a horse. He was taken to the Frisbie Memorial hospital for treatment and it is reported that his condition is so serious that an X-ray will be taken to determine the full extent of his injuries.

Edwin K. Steadman

Edwin K. Steadman passed away at the county farm last week Friday. He was taken to the hospital there a few weeks ago. He had been a resident of this city for several years. He is survivived by a widow and one young son. Funeral services were held at the Howard Becker funeral home. He was 79 years of age.

Relieve Doctor of His Roll

Saturday of last week, Dr. E.M. Abbott was held up in his office by a gypsy couple and relieved of his bank roll. The masculine visitor had consulted the doctor about some personal ailment and handed a ten dollar bill in payment. When Dr. Abbott produced a roll of bills from his pocket to make the change, the man pretended to draw a revolver, and the pair grabbed the money and made off. They made their escape and have not yet been apprehended.

Gonic Samuel Rindge, president of the gonic Mfg. Co., was in town Monday.

Joseph Speke is able to be out again.

Miss Dorys Hamilton spent last week visiting friends in Dorchester, Mass. The tree men are greatly improving the looks of the trees in the mill yard this week.

Francis Brown of Boston and Ivan Jenkins attended the Portsmouth and Rochester high school foot ball game Saturday.

Hon. and Mrs. J.L. Meader motored to Providence, R.I., Sunday to see their daughter, Ann, who is attending the Lincoln school there.

One of the greatest social events of the season will be the wedding of George Malvern and Miss Thelma Holmes, who will be united in marriage on Saturday, Oct 18, at 1 o’clock in the afternoon, in the church of our Savior at Milford, N.H. Mr. Malvern is one of our most popular young men, a brother to Mrs. J. Levi Meader and overseer of the picking and wool departments of the Gonic Mfg. Co. Miss Holmes is one of the most popular young ladies of Wilton, N.H., the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Holmes.

After a two weeks honeymoon trip, the happy couple will be at home here in Gonic after Saturday, Nov. 1.

The many friends of William Welch were greatly shocked to learn of his sudden death at his home in Hartland, Me., Sunday afternoon from heart trouble. Mr. Welch appeared to be in his usual good health Sunday and had just completed washing his car. He went into the house and sat down on the couch awaiting dinner. When he was told that dinner was ready, it was found that he had passed away. Mr. Welch had resided in Gonic nearly all his life and was a woolen dresser by trade, employed at the Gonic mills for many years, but for the past few years has been employed by the woolen mill at Hartland, Me.

The writer has known Willie Welch all his life, having played with him when both were boys here in Gonic. He was a very jolly, good-natured fellow. About thirty years ago he married Miss Nellie J. Otis, with whom he reared two fine children, who are now grown up, Kenneth Welch and Mrs. Downing Osborne, who with their bereaved mother are left to mourn his great loss. His age was 55 years.


Left fatherless at 16 and forced to sell the few head of livestock on the home place, Edward Harris of Belknap county determined he would one day own a good dairy herd. That was six years ago. Today he has twelve cows and four head of young stock and has just purchased a promising young Guernsey bull calf. Young Harris knows the importance of a good bull and intends to work his mixed herd into Guernsey’s through breeding with a high quality sire. His story, one of perseverance, is told by Royal W. Smith, Belknap county agricultural agent, as follows: "Edward and his mother had to get along the best way they could after his father died. Mrs. Harris has worked out some during the hotel season ever since. Edward worked out by the day and on the roads some. Whenever he got enough money ahead he bought a good heifer calf. He took good care of the calves and grew them into good cows. "Edward believes permanent pasture pays if you want feed. The small farm he has taken over since the death of his father consists of about twenty-five acres of tillable land and more than 100 acres of pasture and woodland. Some of this pasture he has plowed and seeded to increase its productivity. He has also put more than two acres of corn into his silo.

He says he can grow enough forage on what land he has to feed twelve cows, about the number he believes he can handle alone. "During the summer he has a fine local market for milk. He is located near the Weirs and sells his mile to a retailer. During the winter he ships it. In August he sold 275 pounds of milk a day from eleven cows. "In the winter he makes his time count by getting out wood to sell and for home consumption. He says he likes farming and takes a great pleasure in seeing this stock grow."


To cover Wakefield, Union and Middleton -- News from Sanbornville Sanbornville, Oct. 1 , 1930 -- Dr. Lawrence R. Hill of Concord has been appointed town physician and has established his office on School street in this village. He will cover Wakefield, Union and Middleton. He is on the staff at the Huggins hospital, Wolfeboro. Dr. Hill is a graduate of Dartmouth college, class of 1902, and of Harvard Medical college, class of 1907. He has had sixteen years hospital training in the veterans bureau in St. Monica, Los Angeles, Cal. He was British major in 1914 and 1915 in the second Harvard unit. He later was captain of the Medical U.S.A. corps. For some time he was a House of mercy officer in Springfield, Mass. His grandfather, Isaac Hill of Concord, was at one time governor of the state. Dr. Hill’s brother, C.S. Hill, was a colonel of the United States Marines and was in China for sometime. Dr. Hill succeeds Dr. Frank Weeks, who recently resigned as town physician to take up practice at Milton. This town was handicapped for a number of years in not having a resident physician. Dr. Hill has taken up his residence here. He married Ruth Hutchinson, a former school teacher of this village, a few months ago. Wakefield may have a woman for representative, if friends of Mrs. Lillian Sanborn Edwards of this village are successful in their fight to make her the first woman to serve from the town in that capacity.

The Republican candidate is Ansel N. Sanborn, who has served the town as representative once. As a former officer in the New Hampshire State Federation of Woman’s clubs, a member of the local Woman’s club, and an active member of the church of St. John the Baptist, also a business woman of the town and the mother of ex-congressman W.N. Rogers, she is well fitted for the office. Mrs. Edwards, who is a graduate of Wakefield academy, and who learned from her father, the late John W. Sanborn, who was superintendent of the Northern division of the Boston and Maine railroad, much about political practical and business relations of the town, has always shown much public spirit. She has been generous in donations to town causes and improvements.

Dr. L.R. Hill was in Middleton Tuesday to attend at a birth in one of the lumber camps of that town.

Mrs. Luella Burroughs recently visited her mother, Mrs. Ella Sanborn, in Wolfeboro. Some from this village attended the Fryeburg fair Wednesday.

Hon. W.N. Rogers won the case of Charles Wiggin of Tamworth, who was on trial charged with stuffing the ballot box for school committee last April in Tamworth. The case took up two days the first of the week in Carroll County superior court. Mr. Wiggin was acquitted Tuesday.

There will be a celebration of the Holy communion by the Episcopal church in the Congregational church at Wolfeboro at 8 A.M. next Sunday morning, October 5. The gathering-in at North Conway closed its series of services with confirmation on Friday, Oct. 3.

The date of the opening of the gathering-in at Whittier at the church of St. Andrew in the Valley has been changed to Tuesday, October 14, with the bishop preaching. The parish was glad to have with them last Sunday Harrison Bran, a candidate for holy orders in this diocese. Mr. Dunn was preaching at North Conway. There will be a harvest dinner and supper on Wednesday, October 8th, in the parish house. Mrs. Smith Pike is in charge. Proceeds are to be applied on work required for the fair of next year. Every one is invited to both the dinner and the supper.

George Lanouette was called to Amesbury, Mass., Tuesday, by the death of his sister, Mrs. Maline Haley, who died very suddenly. The funeral was Wednesday in Amesbury.

Mrs. Mary Quimby and Mrs. Mary Horne of Sanford, Me., have been visiting Mrs. A.A. Hutchins on the Garey road. Several people from this village attended the Rochester fair.

Chas. Colman is at home from his duties as master at a boys’ camp in Canada. He will sail the 19th of this month for Europe. He will be abroad a year.

Dr. Emma Young-Slaughter of Sanbornville, R.F.D., and Lowell, Mass., was a delegate to the Democratic convention in Boston, Mass., from Lowell, where she is a resident.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Wiggin of Laconia visited in the village for the weekend.

Mrs. Mary Curtis was up from Dorchester, Mass., to spend the weekend with relatives. S

cott McDonald has been assisting in painting the fences on the new highway between Wakefield and Harper’s Ferry, Ossipee.

W.F. Curtis, wife and daughter of Cliftondale, Mass., re-opened their summer home here for the week-end. Mrs. Mary Curtis accompanied them back.


Two saddle horses used for marshal duty passed through here enroute to and from Rochester fair last week.

Mr. and Mrs. George Drury and children and several other people, all of Lynn, Mass., spent the week-end with Mrs. Drury’s parents at the See Far Farm.

A stranger from Georgetown, Mass., passed through here afoot Saturday. He stated he had intentions of buying a farm here.

Nearly everybody is done haying the first time over, but some have latter crop to cut yet.

Many married women and maidens witnessed the out-of-door dancing by the Hula Hula girls at the Rochester fair and they seemed to enjoy it as much as the men and boys did.

The man on the mountain made a trip to Pittsfield Saturday night and returned Sunday morning with his wife and child.

Cold weather is coming.

While being allowed to feed in the highway, Geo. E. Rewitzer’s horse took the liberty to visit the J.F. Whitmarsh farm on Guinea Pig hill, two and one-half miles distant. He returned of his own accord after appeasing his appetite.

The boxing dogs on the stage opposite the grandstand were one of the best features of the Rochester fair.

About 262 autos passed through here Sunday.

Coon hunters visited this locality Saturday evening.

L.W. Thomas conveyed two trucks loads of cordwood to Rochester Friday of last week for one of Geo. E. Rewitzer’s customers.

Geo E. Coggswell and Fred W. Coggswell of Essex, Mass., accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Caverly of Ipswich, Mass., dined on the lawn at Geo. E. Rewitzer’s Monday of last week.

Apple picking is now in order and the crop will be a bounteous one.

Copyright C. Parziale, 2001

You are the 11072nd Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since February 10, 2001.

Html by Deb

Return to Index