Old Newspaper Collections Project

By Clayton, Deb, & Holice

Rochester Courier, 10/10/1930

Contributed by C. Parziale



EXCERPTS FROM THE ROCHESTER COURIER: October 10, 1930 pages 1-16

Police Court 

Perley Young of Newmarket, who was struck by the train on the Milton road crossing the past week, was before the local police court Saturday and Judge Samuel D. Felker fined him $15.00 and costs of $7.40. Attorney William N. Rogers of Sanbornville appeared for him.

As Raymond Morrill and his wife of Dover, formerly of this city, were motoring down Rochester Hill Friday forenoon, Everett Reed, who was going up the hill, attempted to pass a New York car, and when he did he collided with Mr. Morrill whose car was overturned, injuring Mrs. Morrill to such an extent that she was removed to the Frisbie Memorial hospital.

Mr. Reed was brought into police court Saturday morning before Judge Samuel D. Felker, and was fined $50 and costs of court. Attorney Clyde Keefe appeared for Mr. Reed.

His 96th Birthday

Joseph W. Johnson, Farmington’s oldest resident, recently observed the 96th anniversary of his birth, by entertaining a small circle of friends at his residence on Gray avenue. While Mr. Johnson has been in failing health for several years, he is greatly interested in local affairs and through the medium of the newspapers keeps well informed on the leading events of the day.

Mr. Johnson recalls many of the older citizens and the early history of Farmington. He was the recipient of many gifts and was the recipient of many gifts and a shower of post cards. Two beautiful birthday cakes, one with 96 candles, were greatly cherished by Mr. Johnson.

Fined $25 and Costs

Fred Tibbetts of Wakefield was recently brought before Judge A. H. Wiggin of the Farmington municipal court, being charged, on complaint of State Motorcycle Officer Frank Manning of this city, with operating an automobile while under the influence of liquor.

Through his attorney he pleaded not guilty but evidence was introduced that he drove his machine at Middleton in such a manner that he collided with and badly damaged a car owned by the Farmer Motor Sales company of Rochester He was found guilty and a fine of $25 and costs was imposed. His license was also suspended.


At one time this week much anxiety was shown among parents when it became known that three children had suddenly passed away within a period of forty-eight hours.

The first death was that of Hazel Howard of 98 North Main Street. The child was stricken suddenly with an intestinal disorder and died within a few hours on Sunday. Two other children, Elroy Jr., and Mary, were taken ill and rushed to the Frisbie Memorial hospital, where their condition is said to be improved.

Early Monday morning Marvin Canney, aged 8 years, passed away, following a six hours illness of an intestinal nature. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Victor Canney of 16 Washington street.

Donald, aged 6 years, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ormsby Howard of Jackson street, passed away Tuesday at his home on Jackson street, following a short illness, with a disease of a similar nature.

Rochester physicians who handled the cases thought best to notify the state board of health and yesterday Dr. Charles Weaver of Manchester, of the state Laboratory of Hygiene to the causes of the deaths. He found that unripe fruit had brought attack of ptomaine poisoning or intestinal trouble, which resulted fatally. He found that an unripe apple had been responsible for one case, while unripe grapes and other foods accounted for the other two.

Dr. Weaver stated that the three sudden deaths in Rochester were not signs of an epidemic, and that there was no cause for alarm.

Garage Burns

An alarm for the fire was rung in Wednesday evening at about six o’clock for a burning garage, belonging to John Langley, at the corner of Maple street and Waldron avenue. There were two cars in the garage. One of them was got out and the other, an Overland sedan, was destroyed. The building was practically destroyed.

Fire Destroys Rug

A fire in the sun room at the beautiful home of Mrs. Sarah Kendall, corner of Charles and May streets, Tuesday morning, destroyed a valuable oriental rug and did some damage to the wood work. It was extinguished before the arrival of the fire department which had been summoned by telephone.

Man and Baby Carriage Hit

As Wilbur T. Hurd was walking along the state road last Saturday evening near the Carll garage and wheeling his child in a baby carriage a car came from the rear, knocked Hurd to the ground and overturned the baby carriage. Hurd received a badly injured leg, cuts and bruises abuot the face and head, and the child received cuts and bruises. They were taken to their home and both were given medical treatment by Dr. Norman Chesley.

The driver of the car stopped and went to Hurd’s home. He was driving a Maine car. It is understood that the accident is being investigated by the state motor vehicle department. while Mr. Hurd is suffering from his injuries it is thought that no bones were broken.

To Visit Italy On Friday of this week, October 10, Mrs. Peter Regis, and two young daughters, Clelia and Stella, will leave this city for a three months sojourn in northern Italy where Mrs. Regis will attend to some business there, and also visit her mother, whom she has not seen for eighteen years, since she came to America as a bride.

The fruit store of which she is proprietor, formerly the Almi fruit store at 99 South Main street is to be in charge of her cousin, Carlos Scagliotti. It will be attended to in the same efficient manner, and their usual fine patronage will receive the same courteous treatment they have been accumstomed to, as will all others who visit the store during her absence.

TUCKER-TURMELLE Marriage at St. Mary’s Rectory -- Bride Given a Shower of Useful Presents

Miss Lauretta M. Turmelle, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas R. Turmelle of 99 Maple street, was united in marriage to Raymond C. Tucker of Kittery, Me., son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Tucker of Pittsfield, N. H., Saturday at 11:30 A.M. at St. Mary’s rectory, by Rev. Father John J. McNamara, using the double-ring service. The bride was attended by Miss Madeline Maxfield, a classmate, who was attired in Fashion flower satin, with hat to match, and carried pink carnations. The bridegroom was attended by Raymond Turmelle brother of the bride. The bride wore egg-shell satin and hat to match. She carried bride roses. A wedding reception followed the wedding at 99 Maple street. Mr. and Mrs. Tucker are on a motor trip, which will include the White Mountains and New York, and on their return will make their home in Kittery, Me., where Mr. Tucker holds a position as a service man in the naval station. The bride has held a position in the Leader shoe factory, where she has a large number of friends, and Friday evening they called at her home and gave her a shower of useful presents, among the party being several schoolmates.

She was presented with a beautiful tray of silver and an electric flatiron. both vocal and instrumental music was enjoyed. Bernard Durgin presided at the piano. Dainty refreshments were served.

Severed an Artery

Fred Tuttle of Leonard street was the victim of an unusual accident Friday. He was cranking his car and as he brought his hand around it a rotary motion with the crank, his right hand came in contact with the number plate and its sharp edge badly cut the hand, near the thumb, severing an artery. He lost a quantity of blood. On the arrival of Dr. N.K. Chesley, he was removed to the Frisbie Memorial hospital, where it was necessary to take five stitches to close the wound.


Albert Chesley and Russell Johnson of this city were caught in Sanford by the police early Thursday morning shooting craps. The police raided the room of Fred Foster of Sanford, where they were found, and all were brought into police court. Chesley and Johnson, who were fined five dollars and costs of $22.71, paid their fines, but Foster was unable to pay his and he was taken to Alfred jail for 30 days.


Many friends in this city were shocked to learn of the death of John Rafferty, who roomed on Central avenue with Mrs. Jennie Wentworth. When she called him Friday morning at 6 A.M. to go to his work, his landlady discovered that Mr. Rafferty had died in the night. He was 65 years of age, and had been a resident of this city for many years. He was born in Ireland, the son of William and Sarah Rafferty. He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Thomas Morgan of this city and Mrs. Patrick McGrory of Dover. The funeral services were held from St. Mary’s church Monday morning and the interment will be in the St. Mary’s cemetery.

Parsons - Brewster

Miss Mary Brewster, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Brewster of the Dover and Somersworth cement road, was united in marriage to Warren C. Parsons, son of Mrs. Charles Evans of this city, Monday afternoon at one O’clock, by Rev. Leon J. Morse, pastor of the St. John Methodist church of Dover, who used the double-ring service. The bride was attired in a brown transparent velvet ensemble suit with a hat to match and carried a bridal bouquet of roses. She was attended by a friend, Mrs. Thelma Stevens, who wore dark green canton crepe and carried a bouquet of red roses. Vaughn Parsons, brother of the bridegroom, was best man. The bride is one of our best known young ladies, and holds a position as clerk at Charles P. Daley’s store on North Main Street. The bridegroom is assistant paymaster at the Dwight Manufacturing Company at Somersworth. After an extended wedding trip to various points of interest, they well commence housekeeping at 35 Leonard street, this city. They were the recipients of many costly and beautiful presents.

Prospective Bride Showered With Gifts West Lebanon, Me. Oct 7, 1930 -- Thursday evening Oct. 2, Mrs. Evan P. Wentworth gave a whist party in honor of her guest, Miss Elizabeth Bristol of Cohasset, Mass. Miss Bristol is a member of the W. T. Grant Co. The prizes were won by Miss Sylvea Shapleigh and Bernard K.Cowell. Other guests present were Miss Dorothy Shapleigh, Miss Evairita L. Cowell, the Misses Marjorie and Marion Goodwin, Mrs. Bernard K. Cowell, Miss Helen Nichols, Miss Thelma Wright, Daniel L. Dearborn, Roland Cowell, John Dillingham, Leon Lord and Clayton Lord. Delicious refreshments of cantelope halves, filled with ice cream, and cake were served.

Friday afternoon Mrs. Evan P. Wentworth arranged a shower at her home for Miss Helen E. Nichols, in honor of Miss Nichol’s approaching marriage to Walter Caswell of Brockton, Mass. Miss Nichols made her home with Mr. and Mrs. Harry H. Dearborn of this place for several years, during which time she was graduated from West Lebanon high school and taught in the Lebanon public schools. Miss Nichols was graduated from Boston University in 1929 and Mr. Caswell is also a graduate of Boston University, class of 1928. Miss Nichols is the niece of Miss Cora Nichols of Rochester, N. H. Miss Nichols was summoned to the Wentworth home and completely surprised to find a large gathering of her former neighbors and friends assembled there. A table laden with gifts was brought into the room and Miss Nichols found a large variety of useful articles to help furnish her kitchen. Mrs. Howard A. Johnson read an original poem. Cocoa and wafers were served by the hostess assisted by the Misses Sylvea and Dorothy Shapleigh, Evairita Cowell and Marjorie and Marion Goodwin. The other guests present were: Mrs. Harry H. Dearborn, Mrs. Annie Dearborn, Miss Sarah Horne, Mrs. Charles H. Dearborn, Miss Della Dearborn, Miss Alice Bartlett, Mrs. Edgar B. Lord, Mrs. Charles B. Goodwin, Miss Minnie Clossom, Miss Thelma Wright, Mrs. Robert V. Stackpole, Mrs. Howard Washburn, Miss Alice Johnson, Miss Ida Wentworth, Miss Eva Goodwin, Mrs. Inez Cowell, Mrs. Ralph H. Betts, Mrs. Levi H. Cowell, Miss Jean Lord, and Miss Crissie A. Mathews. A number of other guests were invited who were unable to attend but sent gifts to show they too wished Miss Nichols much future happiness. M

iss C.A. Mathews was the guest of relatives in Berwick over Sunday night and Monday.

Misses Amelia and Dorothy Shapleigh motored to Boston Monday morning and are expected to return home Tuesday evening.

Mr. and Mrs. David Shapleigh, with their three sons, David Jr., Robert and Richard were Sunday guests of Miss Amelia Shapleigh and family.

The academy students have Wednesday off for Acton fair and on that evening have a box supper, social and dance at the academy hall.

Miss Helen Nichols returned to Newton, Mass., Saturday. Miss Amelia Shapleigh is having many changes made in the barn at Rose Cottage, making a garage and store room with sleeping rooms over the garage.

Miss Dorothy Shapleigh has closed Littlefolk for the season and is taking the last two children home this week. Miss Amelia Shapleigh, Miss C.A.Mathews, Miss Eva Goodwin, Miss Sylvea Shapleigh, with the Misses Alice Johnson, Della Dearborn, Muriel Hayes, Myrtle Heath and Marion Stackpole, motored to Hollis, Me., Saturday to the W.C.T. U. Institute held there. The girls of the L.T.L. sang and Miss Amelia Shapleigh was one of the speakers. Many from here are planning to attend Acton fair.

Word has been received here of the death of Charles Chamberlain in Lynn, Mass., He was a native of this place and lived here during his youth.

Mrs. A.E. Cowell is in Berwick with her sister, Mrs. Meda Abbott who has been ill for several months.

Mrs. Edwin S. Stanley returned home from Boston Lowell and Peabody, Mass., last Wednesday. Harold Stanley is expected home from Bowdoin college Friday night for the week-end.

Mr. and Mrs. Perley Lovelace of Peabody, Mass., are guests of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin S. Stanley.

The Ladies Circle have a supper and short entertainment Friday evening.

Copyright C. Parziale, 2001

You are the 6346th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since February 10, 2001.

Html by Deb

Return to Index