Old Newspaper Collections Project

Rochester Courier, 10/24/1930



Contributed by C. Parziale



Rochester Courier - October 24, 1930


Wedding of Gonic Man in church at Milford -- Bride a Wilton Girl

The Wedding of Miss Thelma Holmes of Wilton to George W. Malven of Gonic took place Saturday afternoon at one o’clock in the Church of Our Savior at Milford, New Hampshire. The bride was given in marriage by her father and wore a wedding dress of white satin and lace made very long and full; and a veil, which was worn by her mother at her wedding twenty years before, was of white chiffon caught with orange blossoms. She carried a bouquet of bridal roses and lilies of the valley. She was attended by a maid of honor. Miss Phyllis Hartley of Harrisville, R.I., and two bridesmaids. Misses Hazel Pickett and Shirlie Johnson, both of Wilton. The maid of honor was gowned in nile crepe and tuile, with picture hat and shoes to match, carrying a bouquet of orchid chrysanthemums, while both brides maids were gowned alike in long dresses of orchid moire, trimmed with velvet, picture hats and shoes to match, and carried yellow chrysanthemum bouquets. John McDuffee Meader of Gonic acted as best man and ushers were Edgar Holmes of Wilton, a graduate of the high school there and was a student at Wheaton college. The bridegroom, the son of the late James Malven, is a graduate of the Semple Oklahoma, public schools and was stationed in Texas before coming to New Hampshire three years ago. He is now connected with the Gonic mills at Gonic as overseer of both the wool and picking departments. He is a brother of Mrs. J. Levi Meader of Gonic, with whom he makes his home. The Officiating clergyman was Rev. W.D. Armitage of Milford. Little Norma Center was flower girl. Mrs. Alice Parker played the Wedding marches and miss Margaret Proctor sang "A Perfect Love." The church was decorated with yellow chrysanthemums and baskets of flowers, as was the parish hall where the reception was held. Those in the receiving line, besides the happy couple, were Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. J. Levi Meader. Immediately after the reception the couple left for an unknown destination and are to make their future home in Gonic.


Drivers of Automobiles While Under the Influence of Liquor Fined The Rochester police court room was a busy place Monday and Judge Felker made it plain that you cannot be under the influence of intoxicating liquors and operate cars in Rochester. The Stanhope case called for the testimony of Officers Nelson Hatch and Frank Manning and all were found guilty. Fred Stanhope was given a fine of $50 and costs for operating a car while under the influence of liquor. The other occupants of the car were found guilty of simple intoxication and drew a fine of $5.00 and costs. Also all were given a suspended thirty-day jail sentence. On complaint of Officer Frank Manning, Jean Poitras of South Berwick, Me., was arraigned on charge of operating an automobile while under the influence of intoxicating liquor. He was found guilty and appealed to higher court and was placed under $100 bonds. Officer Frank Manning brought two charges against William Wallingford of Harwich Mass., one for operating an automobile while under the influence of intoxicating liquor and the other for driving without a license. It appears that he was taken in custody following a collision with the car of Adolph Devario of Wakefield street. On the first count. He was given a fine of $25 and costs and on the second the case was placed on file on payment of costs, also a suspended thirty-days jail sentence was imposed.

DIED In Rochester, Christine Wife of Maurice Gregoire, aged 75 years.


Brown, Leather case 2 straps, locked, containing woman’s apparel, lost Wed. morning on state road between Silver lake and Rochester. Reward for return to Josephine F. Pendergast, 1284 Beacon Street, Brookline Mass., Pelham Hall.


Remington Repeating 20-gauge, lost Monday, Oct. 20, from car, near Merrill’s Corner school house on cross roads. Reward or return to Dr. D.L. Stokes, 19 Portland St., Rochester.


Funeral services for Victor Theodore Canney, Jr., the fourth victim of Rochester’s strange malady, were held Friday afternoon at the chapel of the funeral home on south Main street, and were conducted by the Rev. John N. Armistead, pastor of the Fifth Methodist Episcopal church. The child was born in Lebanon, Me., Feb. 18, 1927, the son of Victor T. and Edith King Canney. The child was a bright attractive child, unusually smart for his age and was a general favorite in the neighborhood. Besides his parents, he is survived by several brothers.


Two Injured Persons at the Frisbie Hospital, One with Broken Rib A bad accident occurred Sunday evening on south Main Street just above the Boivin garage. Oliver Dubreuil of Gonic in a Chevrolet sedan, closely followed by napoleon Houle in the Somersworth mall truck, was going down Rochester hill when they met Edward J. Gibson of North Rochester, who was on his way to Dover. In some way Gibson hit the Dubreuil car from Gonic and then dashed into the mail truck. Miss Jeanette Magnon of Somersworth, an occupant of the truck, was badly shaken up and received cuts and bruises. She was taken to the house of Charles E. Goodwin near by but later was removed to the Frisbie Memorial hospital for treatment. Gibson was badly injured, received a fractured rib, and several bad cuts and bruises. It was decided to have him X-rayed to determine the full extent of his injuries, following his arrival at the Frisbie Memorial hospital. The cars were badly damaged and the other people in them were fortunate in only receiving minor injuries. Miss Magnon was on her way to visit her brother, Tony Magnon, who is receiving treatment at the Frisbie Memorial hospital, but on her arrival she was admitted as a patient instead of a visitor. ‘=


Couple Before court charged Also with Neglecting Their Children Mr. and Mrs. Elroy Howard of 98 North Main Street were brought before the local municipal court Saturday on charge of neglecting their children and keeping an unsanitary house. The warrant was issued at the office of County Solicitor Burt R. Cooper on complaint of an agent of the New Hampshire Children’s aid society. State Officer Joseph Duval of the State Department of Health and Health Officer Charles E. Goodwin testified as to many complaints received concerning unclean condition of the home and the children. Officer Goodwin stated that it was at this home the first death occurred in connection with the four deaths which the State Board of Health stated were intestinal trouble. The child was Hazel Howard, aged 2. Judge Samuel D. Felker found them to be guilty and imposed a sentence of thirty days at the house of correction, the same to be suspended if there were improvements made in the present conditions. The Howard case was brought to light in connection with investigations being made relative to the four children who were afflicted with the malady which so suddenly ended in their deaths.

Copyright C. Parziale, 2001

You are the 4964th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since February 10, 2001.

Html by Deb

Return to Index