Old Newspaper Collections Project
By Clayton, Deb, & Holice
VT Watchman & Gazette, 6/6/1828
Odds and Ends
Extra special thanks to Holice B. Young for being such a trooper and typing a ton of old news articles! Without her this project wouldn't be here!
VT Watchman and Gazette, 6/6/1828
On the 18th day of Sept., 1818, a child of Mr. Joseph Belnap, unfortunately took a quantity of the Oil or Essence of Cedar, which proved fatal in a very short time.
In the month of Feb. 1820, Enos Denish, while watching a coal pit, was burnt to death. He was seen in the evening lying upon the side of the pit, and was admonished of his danger., but he persisted in his determination to sleep upon the side of the pit. In the morning the pit was discovered to be on fire, and Denish was no where to be found. Upon looking into the pit, some of his bones were discovered, which were not consumed.
On the 18th day of April in the same year, a Frenchman, named Joseph Blanchard, was killed in consequence of having drunk to copiously of spiritous liquor. It appears from the accounts Given of this affair. That there was an attempt made to get him as completely intoxicated as he could be.
It is probably that there was no design to rake his life, but such was the fact. After he had drunk the liquor, he went, or was carried to his shop, where he soon fell into a sleep, which proved to be the sleep of death.
On the 25th day of Feb. 1822, Capt. Apollus Hale, just at evening took a pail and went down to the river near his house for the purpose of bringing in some water. As he descended the bank which was quite steep, it is supposed that he slipped, or stumbled, and fell into the water. Some supposed that the violence of the fall, occasioned his death; others, that he was drowned in the water. What was matter of fact, it is impossible to determine. In a few moments he was taken up dead.
On the month of Oct, 1822, a child of Mr. Samuel French, while at play with a piece of pewter in his mouth, accidentally suffered the pewter to pass down his throat. It lodged in his wind pipe. Exertions were made to extricate it, but to no purpose. The child lived a few hors in extreme pain, and then died.
On the 20th day of Jan, 1823, the wife of Mr. Reuben Nickels, rose from the bed in the morning in usual health, went to the fire, and while in the act of dressing her babe, she fell upon the floor, gasped twice, and expired. The evening before, which was Sabbath evening, she attended a religious conference, and after her return home spoke with more than usual interest of the meeting. In the morning, a few moments before she rose from bed, she was playing with her babe, perfectly unconscious that the messenger of death was then standing at the door.
Copyright Clayton Betzing, 2001
You are the [Timeout locking counter file] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since February 10, 2001.
Html by Deb
Return to Index