Welcome to the Onondaga County Site of the USGenNet Orginization. We incourage visitors to donate their historical information and to recommend links to be included here. Please contact this Site's Webmaster: USGenNet
Onondaga County was taken from Herkimer in 1794; bounds
since altered by the formation of other counties from it. Greatest length N. and S. 36, greatest breadth E. and W. 28 miles. Centrally
distant from New York 280 miles, from Albany 135 miles. This county, though not extensive, embraces a most important portion of
the territory of this state. Here are the salt springs, an inexhaustible source of immense wealth; beds of gypsum or plaster, of vast extent,
hydraulic lime, and common limestone. Surface is diversified. The northern portion of the county is level; the centre and southern
rolling, and rising in some places into hills. The soil is generally good, and in some portions excellent, and under high cultivation. Large
crops of wheat and Indian corn are annually raised. Both are greatly aided by the use of plaster. The principal lakes are Oneida,
Skaneateles, Onondaga, and Otisco. The Rome summit, or long level of the Erie canal, 69~- miles in length, has its western extremity near
Syracuse. The county forms part of the military tract, and settlements were first made here in the spring of 1788, while composing
part of Whitestown, Oneida county. The county is divided into 18 towns, of which Lysander, Manlius, Marcellus, Onondaga, and
Pompey were organized by general sessions in 1789. (Historical Collections
of the State of New York, Past and Present, John Barber, Clark Albien &
You are the 23998th Visitor to this USGenNet
A Path To The Past.
This is a non-profit genealogical/historical research site. It is hosted by USGenNet, which is a tax-exempt public benefit corporation. It is in full compliance with the Conditions of use, including no claim to the copyrights of individual submitters.