The History of Otsego, NY
By Holice and Debbie
TOWN OF BURLINGTON
Organization—Geographical—Topographical—Early Settlers and their Locations—Initial Events—The First Town-Meeting—Officers Elected—Supervisors and Town Clerks from 1809 to 1878—Present Town Officials—Agricultural and General Statistics—Area—Equalized and Assessed Valuation—Population from 1800 to 1876.
Burlington was formed from Otsego, April 10, 1792. It retained its original dimensions until 1797, when Pittsfield was set off, and it was still further diminished in area by the erection of Edmeston, 1808.
It is an interior town lying northwest of the centre of the county, and bounded as follows: On the north by Plainfield and Exeter; on the east by Exeter, Otsego, and Hartwick; on the south by Hartwick and New Lisbon, and on the west by Edmeston. Its surface consists chiefly of a hilly upland with ridges extending north and south, which at various points attain an elevation of four hundred feet above the valleys. The soil is a slaty and gravelly loam, well adapted to agriculture. The town is watered by Butternut and Wharton creeks.
Although this territory in an early day was in a somewhat isolated location, compared with the lower Butternut creek valley and the valley of the Susquehanna, and various other locations throughout the county, still it was settled as early as 1790, and its arable soil and healthful climate soon attracted scores of pioneers, and not many years elapsed ere it was peopled by a thrifty and intelligent colony, who left a respected posterity.
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie
You are the 2654th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 24, 2001.
[Index Page][Otsego, NY, History and Genealogy]