By Holice and Debbie
TOWN OF BUTTERNUTS
Butternuts was formed from Otsego, April 10, 1792. It retained its original dimensions until 1797, when Pittsfield was set off, and it was again reduced in area by the organization of Edmeston, in 1808.
It is an interior town lying in the southwestern part of the county, and is bounded as follows, viz., on the north by Morris, on the east by Laurens and Otego, on the south by Unadilla, and on the west by the Unadilla river, which separates it from Chenango county. Its surface is a hilly upland. The bluffs along the Unadilla river rise to the height of from five hundred to six hundred feet. The principal stream if Butternut creek, which flows southwest through the centre of the town. The first settlement was made in butternuts in 1786, it being a that time embraced in old Tyron county, which was set off from Albany county in 1772. This was one of the first settled towns in the county, which was probably due to its location on the Unadilla, as both the Unadilla and Susquehanna were at that time navigable. (The History of Otsego, NY, Duane Hamilton Hurd, 1778)
You are the 3271st Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site Since March 9, 2001.
914 visitors before the new counter was installed.
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
Copyright Debbie Axtman and Holice B. Young
December 23, 1999