The History of Otsego, NY
By Holice and Debbie
The first church organized in this town was a union church, with the following members: Timothy Parker, Biger Wright, Stiles Parker, Jesse Davis, Martha Howe, James Parker, Martha Davis, Sarah Maple, ------- Parker, J. Lewis, N. Lewis, Samuel Howe, P. Parker, and Elijah Parker.
The first church edifice was erected in 1807, at a cost of $500. The pioneer preacher in Decatur was Father Willis. Among other early ministers are mentioned the names of C. Catlin, Timothy Parker, Jesse David, Samuel Howe. Biger Wright was the first class leader.
The present and only church edifice in the town is located in the village of Decatur, and was erected in 1839, at a cost of $2000.
The present officers of the church are as follows: John Dalley, class-leader; L. L. Davis, Esq., Henry Holmes, William M. Day, Chelsea Davis, and James E. Shelland, stewards. The church has a membership of thirty-five, and is under the pastoral care of Rev. John Wood.
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie
You are the 2041st Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 24, 2001.
[Index Page][Otsego, NY, History and Genealogy]