The History of Otsego, NY
By Holice and Debbie
Hartwick village is located in the northwestern part of the own, in a beautiful valley through which flows the Otego creek. The present (1877) business interests are represented as follows: general stores, Eldred & Ball, L. R. Sergeant, F. H. Robinson; dry goods, groceries, and drugs, Luce Brothers; hardware, Robinson & Butler,; grist- saw- shingle- and planing-mills, Cassius Maples; foundry, etc., P. G. Williams. Three blacksmith-shops, two jewelers, two shoe-shops, two harness-shops, three milliners, and three cooper-shops.
South Hartwick in the southwestern part, Hartwick Seminary and Hyde park in the eastern, and Toddsville in the northwest parts, are pleasant hamlets.
Clintonville is a small hamlet in the southwestern part, on the Susquehanna. Here are located the Clinton cotton-mills, which were erected by Mr. Cockett in about the year 1815. The mills are now owned and operated by Mrs. William M. Clinton.
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie
You are the 1920th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 24, 2001.
[Index Page][Otsego, NY, History and Genealogy]