BARNS along the RIVER

 

The St Lawrence River between Canada and the United States

Orleans

The Boldt Farm located on Wellesley Island

CONTACT

Home Up

 

The Town of Orleans

 

 Barns, going down river, or northeast, are on the west side of N Y S Route 12.

 

The Hollis Wood barn on Route 12, formerly owned by the Vrooman family.  It was probably built in the 1890's.

 

ClWood05Pic.JPG (198081 bytes)

  The Jacksons' Sears Roebuck barn.  This barn was purchased in 1919 through a Sears Roebuck catalogue. It was shipped by rail to Redwood and then transported by wagon to its present location.  It is a fine example of many attributes of a barn including the gable doors with their protective over hang above the hay rail, lightning rods, and cupolas.  The third picture is of supporting buildings of ancient vintage, one of which was used as an ice house.

 

  Unfortunately by the winter of 2008 the barn had collapsed - another victim of age and is preserved only  in pictures.  The photo at right documents the loss.

 

Ojksnbrn3Pic.JPG (210520 bytes)
Ojksnbrn2Pic.JPG (208657 bytes)
OjksbldgPic.JPG (202172 bytes)  

Ojksnbrn3aPic.JPG (240635 bytes)

 

The Schryver farm on Route 12 - a top notch example of very well maintained buildings.  A nice background piece was furnished by the family - see Schryver Farm.
OredbarnPic.jpg (179821 bytes)
 

Located on Seaway Avenue, just upstream and in full view of the Thousand Islands Bridge, this barn is a good example of one with sheltered peaks at each end.   The farm, which dates back to the early 1800's, has now been converted to a winery.  More information can be found at the website of these recent entrepreneurs:

thousandislandswinery

 

Oseawy6.JPG (100670 bytes)