Cape Vincent
BUSINESSES

Submit Cape Vincent Business Information

Cape Vincent Newspapers

The business of Cape Vincent has been largely of a commercial character. Lumbering was an important feature in 1809, and during 1810 two hundred thousand staves were imported from Genesee and Niagara counties. Square timber was also an important article of trade, and arks were built for the Montreal market. The Esselstyns and Murray were prominent in the lumber trade until it was broken up by the war of 1812. From 1820 to 1825 it was revived at Carlton island, and rafts were numerous. In this connection may be added a list of the vessels built in the town, so far as they could be obtained. The list is believed to be correct. The first one was completed in 1819. The names of the first master are given in italics:

Schooners: Henry, John Davis; V. Le Ray, do.; Lafayette, Mastin; Ainsworth, J. Belisle; Hannah, Peter Ingalls; O. P. Starkey, do.; L. Goler, Lucas; Victor, Ripley; Free Trade, Shattuck; Chief Justice Marshall, Edie; brig. Merchant, T. Pheatt; schooners, Henry Crevolin, Belisle; John E. Hunt, P. Ingalls; Napoleon, Crouch; Merchant, J. Harris; ,Amelia, Shattuck; Roscoe, do.; Potomac, do.; brig, Iowa; sloop, Elizabeth Goler, Cummings; brig, Patrick Henry, W. E. Ingalls; schooner, Montezuma, Smith; Troy; Allanwick; Globe, Goler; propeller, St. Nicholas, Littz; schooners. Chas. Smith, W. e. Ingalls; Algomah, Reid; Silas Wright, Fuller; Port Henry, J. Jarvis; T. H. Camp, steamer (1876) Walter Horton.

The lumber and timber now brought to this port are chiefly from points on the bay of Quinte and the Rideau canal. The railroad business has not fallen below $80,000 per year for the last ten years, and has run over a hundred thousand in some instances. Until the present "hard times," an iron-ore train ran into Cape Vincent every day. Canadian goods are shipped from this point, by rail, direct for Europe. The railroad agents have been C. W. Rogers, J. S. Nichols, F. W. Deming, Sidney Bickford, C. E. Case, E. N. Moore, Seth Dickinson, and J. W. Brown. Richard Wall has been in the freight-house since the completion of the railroad. The present agent is William M. Johnson, who entered upon his duties October 24, 1872. Alvin Hall has been ticket agent since 1868. On this branch of the road Casey Eldred has been engineer since 1857, and Christy DeLaney since 1868. Thomas Cooper has been conductor for fourteen years; and the three last-named men have been connected with the road in some capacity from the beginning of it. John McCauley is also conductor, which position he has held six or eight years. The passenger trains the present summer season (1876) leave Cape Vincent depot at 9:50 A.M., 4:00 and 5:45 P. M., and arrive at 9:23 A. M., 3:00, 5:00 and 9:15 P. M. A palace-car runs through to Niagara Falls without change.

The telegraph business, for the last ten years, has averaged from three to four thousand dollars per year. The express business has averaged $25,000 for ten years past; and last year it reached $35,000. The propellers of the Northern Transit Company, running from Ogdensburgh to Chicago, have secured a business of $19,000 or more, each year, for the same length of time. At the present time, more than 800,000 pounds of fresh fish are annually shipped from Cape Vincent to different parts of the State. About two hundred men and about seventy-five boats are employed in collecting and shipping the fish.

The elevator of E. K. Burnham, which was built in 1864, after the burning of the railroad elevator, is doing a good business. It has a capacity of two hundred thousand bushels. In carrying on this grain trade, two fine schooners--the "L. S. Hammond" and the "Polly Rogers" are employed. The former is commanded by Richard Saunders, and the latter by Joseph Saunders. The mercantile business has been, and is now, more than ordinary; there was an extensive stove and iron foundry for many years,, there have been and are now lumber years, flour -, shingle-, and planing-mills; while some of the best farms in Jefferson County have been made by draining the lowlands.

A banking business was carried on for many years by Otis P. Starkey, who was succeeded by L. S. Hammond. The town has been without a bank since the panic of 1873.

A town agricultural society was formed in the spring of 1850, which flourished for several years. Its rules allowed persons living in Clayton, Lyme, and Wolf island to compete for premiums.

The first telegraph line to Cape Vincent was built in 1856, and the money was chiefly raised in this town by subscription. It was soon after abandoned. Mr. Joseph Owen built another line in 1864, assisted very materially by N. F. Smith. This was sold to Provincial Telegraph Company in July, 1865, and became a per of their line to Oswego and Canada. The Montreal company bought out the Provincial company in March, 1867, which has continued unchanged till the present year. C. C. Brown is the present manager, and has been in the office since 1872. (Transcribed by Holice B.Young. Original HTML by Debbie Axtmantop

 

NEWSPAPERS

The Cape Vincent Gazette was started by Paul A. Leach, and the first number was dated May 8, 1858. It was succeeded by the Frontier patriot, May 10, 1862, with P. H. Keenan editor and proprietor. Mr. Keenan entered the army in 1862, when the name of Robert Mitchel appeared as editor, and P. H. Keenan as proprietor. In the fall of 1862, Mitchel absented himself to buy a new stock of paper, and has not yet returned. The Cape Vincent Eagle appeared on the 18th of April, 1872, established by Ames and Hart. Hart soon after sold out to his partner, who continued its publication till the spring of 1877, when Mr. Ames disposed of the paper to Charles Wood, who is the present editor and proprietor. (Jefferson County History, by L. H. Everts, 1878 - Transcribed by Holice B.Young. Original HTML by Debbie Axtmantop

 

© Kevin Subra.   This site was begun September 7, 2000 in order to encourage interest in the history and ancestry of Cape Vincent. Thank you for visiting! E-mail the webmaster, or visit his Subra Family website which he is developing to help his family get to know THEIR history!

Thanks to Holice B. Young and Debbie Axtman for their previous efforts in launching this project!

 

This nonprofit research site is a USGenNet CertifiedSafe-Site™ and affiliate of the American Local History Network, Inc. (ALHN). Web hosting is generously provided by USGenNet, a nonprofit, tax-exempt public benefit corporation. This site makes no claim to the copyrights of individual submitters, and is in full compliance with USGenNet's Conditions of Use.