Cape Vincent
LANDMARKS

TIBBITTS POINT

Tibbitts point, at the head of the St. Lawrence, took its name from Captain John Tibbitts, of Troy, who received a patent for 600 acres of land, and which was surveyed in 1799. The first light-house and dwelling were built in 1827. The second tower, which is now standing, was erected in 1854, and stuccoed on the outside in 1870. Supplies were furnished annually. The visibility of the light, by means of the Fresnel lens, is fifteen nautical miles, although the flame, in very clear weather, may be seen full thirty miles. The lamp burns about nine months in the year; and the number of vessels that have passed that point during the past five years has averaged a little less than thirteen hundred for each season of navigation. It may be said, also, that the three acres of land attached to the house and tower belong to the United States, as well as the light-house, although the State of New York has reserved the rights of criminal and civil jurisdiction therein. A. J. Cratsonberg is the present keeper. (Transcribed by Holice B.Young. Original HTML by Debbie Axtman top

 

© Kevin Subra.   This site was begun September 7, 2000 in order to encourage interest in the history and ancestry of Cape Vincent. Thank you for visiting! E-mail the webmaster, or visit his Subra Family website which he is developing to help his family get to know THEIR history!

Thanks to Holice B. Young and Debbie Axtman for their previous efforts in launching this project!

 

This nonprofit research site is a USGenNet CertifiedSafe-Site™ and affiliate of the American Local History Network, Inc. (ALHN). Web hosting is generously provided by USGenNet, a nonprofit, tax-exempt public benefit corporation. This site makes no claim to the copyrights of individual submitters, and is in full compliance with USGenNet's Conditions of Use.