Cape Vincent
SCHOOLS

Schools have been in existence from the settlement of the town. Before 1820, F. R. Hasler, a man of education and a friend to learning, with children to educate, projected a normal school, but failed top see it established. At the present time, there are sixteen school districts in the township, one of which is on Grenadier island, and another on Carlton island. The school in Cape Vincent village is graded, and comprises three departments. Select schools have been carried on by private individuals. Literary societies have given zest to debates and readings. As libraries have an educational influence, the Union Library, organized on August 24, 1824, should not be forgotten. It was of much value for many years, but finally discontinued. The first trustees were Gideon S. Sacket, John B. Esselstyn, Daniel Smith, Stockwell Osgood, Philip George, Zebulon Converse, and Roswell T. Lee. (Jefferson County History, by L. H. Everts, 1878 - Transcribed by Holice B.Young. Original HTML by Debbie Axtman)  top

 

© Kevin Subra.   This site was begun September 7, 2000 in order to encourage interest in the history and ancestry of Cape Vincent. Thank you for visiting! E-mail the webmaster, or visit his Subra Family website which he is developing to help his family get to know THEIR history!

Thanks to Holice B. Young and Debbie Axtman for their previous efforts in launching this project!

 

This nonprofit research site is a USGenNet CertifiedSafe-Site™ and affiliate of the American Local History Network, Inc. (ALHN). Web hosting is generously provided by USGenNet, a nonprofit, tax-exempt public benefit corporation. This site makes no claim to the copyrights of individual submitters, and is in full compliance with USGenNet's Conditions of Use.