Cape Vincent
TEMPERANCE
ORGANIZATIONS

Public meetings in behalf of temperance were held long before there was a formal organization. In 1849 or 1850 the Sons of Temperance established two divisions,--one at St. Lawrence, called the Pine Grove, No. 280, and another at Cape Vincent, called the Meridian Star, No. 546. The first had a list of nineteen charter members; the Meridian Star also had a good starting.

The Independent Order of Good Templars was instituted on August 24, 1866. The regular meetings have been suspended, but the charter still remains in the hands of the society. It is nearly ten years since any public liquor shop has been kept in St. Lawrence.

On March 26, 1877, the "Temperance Reform Club" was organized, and its success is said to have made it the banner club of Jefferson County. The organization has been greatly assisted by the "Ladies' Temperance Aid Society," which was formed in the April following. Like any border town, Cape Vincent is liable to catch some of the drift-wood of the community, but it has never wanted stanch temperance elements of life. (Jefferson County History, by L. H. Everts, 1878 - Transcribed by Holice B.Young. Original HTML by Debbie Axtman)  top

 

© Kevin Subra.   This site was begun September 7, 2000 in order to encourage interest in the history and ancestry of Cape Vincent. Thank you for visiting! E-mail the webmaster, or visit his Subra Family website which he is developing to help his family get to know THEIR history!

Thanks to Holice B. Young and Debbie Axtman for their previous efforts in launching this project!

 

This nonprofit research site is a USGenNet CertifiedSafe-Site™ and affiliate of the American Local History Network, Inc. (ALHN). Web hosting is generously provided by USGenNet, a nonprofit, tax-exempt public benefit corporation. This site makes no claim to the copyrights of individual submitters, and is in full compliance with USGenNet's Conditions of Use.