Subscribers to the Hoyle & Scott Exchange will please cut out and paste the following numbers on their telephone lists.
139??CAMPBELL, L. H.?Attorney
144??FERRELL, Dr. H. R.?Office
145 ??FERRELL, Dr. H. R.?Residence
147 ??FORNEY, C. W.??Residence
141??HAMME, H. S.??Brewers Ag.
123??HUTCHISON, A. J. ?Residence
138??LONGSWORTH, J. C. ?Residence
146??MATHEW & HEADE?Attys.
140??MELLYAR, J. O. ??Supply Store
148??MORRISON, J. T. ?Saloon
142??RICHARDSON, J. M.?Rest'nt
Transcribed from the Cambridge Jeffersonian, Guernsey CO., OH., 12 APR 1895
Submitted by Nancy Reynolds
In the 4000 acres of land owed by Beatty and Gomber, proprietors of Cambridge, there was reserved, beside the town as originally platted, a number of out lots for extension purposes. The entire plat thus reserved contained 960 acres of land, being a parallelogram one mile by one mile and a half. On the north side were laid out 42 four acre lots, on the east 6, sixteen acre lots, on the west 14 lots of different dimensions. The old Gomber mill plat and the land south of Wills creek, all now in Cambridge corporation, were not subdivided until later years. It is of these lots and these early settlements that we now propose to give some unwritten history.
Out lot No. 1 was at first owned by John P. Beatty, a son of Col. Z. A. Beatty. On this lot there was a good spring of pure water. It was near this spring that the Sarchets spent their first night in Cambridge, in 1806, in a hastily constructed brush tent. It was in this spring that Betty Pallet, the waif picked up by the roadside on the mountains, hid her stolen purse of gold, of which we have hetetofore written. At that time there were but two settlements at Cambridge, a cabin at the crossing of Wills creek, and the John Beatty house, erected on the south east corner of the now Col. J. D. Taylor block. A one story log house was being built on the brow of the hill, now the Stoner Scott block. This out lot came into the possession of Samuel M. Oldham, father of I. A. Oldham, who sunk on it a tan yard. This was afterwards owned by Joseph Brown and later Hamilton Pollock. The first residence built upon the lot was the old brick on the south east corner, on 5th street, by Daniel Burt, the grandfather of Mrs. Winifield Scott.
Out lot No. 2 was first owned by Daniel Bane, wo also sunk on it a tanyard. It was subdivided and the west two thirds came into the possession of Dr. B. F. Bills. He was a son in law of Sire Peter Sarchet. Dr. Bills built a two story log house on it, about where the Wolff brick house now stands. This was then a suburban residence and in after years became one of the desirable places as Dr. Bills had adorned it with an orchard and shrubbery. It came into the possession of Mrs. Hurst, mother of John Hurst, Esq., who occupied it for a long time. In 1840 it became the property of the M. E. church, who used it a few years as a parsonage. In it lived Dr. James Drummond,
Rudwell Pettay, David Cross, Thomas Ruckle, E. G. Nicholson and David Trueman. These are all dead, unless it be E. G. Nicholson, who was the youngest. The last known of him, he was a Confederate in the south and had lost the standing as a minister, and his character as a man.
The next house was built by John Hurst Esq., on the north east corner, where E. F. Green's residence now is. It was built by Abraham Gallieon, a Guernseyman, a capenter, and the house was first occupied by him. He was nearsighted, so were his wife and all of his children. He married in New York City and always claimed that he was cheated in his wife, who was very "homely" and dirty as a housekeeper. He siad he had courted her sister. The widowed mother having an eye not nearsighted to business, like Laban, who imposed the tender eyed Leah, instead of Rachel, upon Jacob gave to Gallieon the tender eyed sister. This equalized the family, but he was not so fortunate as Jacob, he did not get his first love.
Out lot No. 3 was bought by George R. Tingle. Be reference to the original plat, it will be seen that this out lot was laid out with lots, streets and alleys to conform to the original lay out of the town, showing that the proprietors intended that the extension of the town north ward should be the same as the first plat. On this lot, George R. Tingle built a still house and a horse mill. The distilling was done where there is now a spring on the Adamson lot and and the horse mill was a little further north on 8th street. In the center was a brick yard where brick was made in a small way. In this early day bricks were used only for chimneys and hearths. We well remember the creaking of the old horse mill and have spent many an hour riding on the sweep and driving the horses.
Lots No. 4 and 5 came into the possession of Gen. Robert B. Moore and were used as pasture lots. The first house built on these was on lot No. 5, in the northeast corner. It was built by Alexander McCracken and was occupied by James Hutchison, who was engaged in butchering. To the west of the house, near the ravine was the butcher shop. The first house built on lot No. 4, was by John Tignor.
Cambridge Daily Jeffersonian, 21 MAR 1895.
We are not the "S" who took in the chair at the McCulley & Gillespie store, we don't pick up things left out, but gather up things of old, and as "a citizen" has asked for history of the old house now being torn away, on Steubenville avenue, last of the Baptist church, we give the following: Lots 88 & 89 were deeded by Thomas Metcalf, Administrator of Jacob Gomber to Thomas McClary, ( we spell McClary, as it is spelled on the tombstone in the old grave yard, not Cleary) and deeded by him to his son Robert McClary, in 1828, Thomas McClary was the father-in-law of Wm. M. McCracken. Robert McClary married Mary McCracken, sister of Wm. McCracken. Robert McClary died in 1836. His widow was known as "Aunt Polly Clary." She afterward married David Morton, brother of Gov. Isaac Morton. Thomas McClary was a capenter and Cabinet maker. He did the work of the old court house, James Nelson, father of Mrs. John E. Sankey, and Andrew Ferguson, uncle of Andrew Hubert, were apprentices and learned their trades with McClary. In this early day when there were four still houses in the suburbs of Cambridge, the sites of which are now in the corporate limits, it was not unusual for some to get, as the poet Burns says: "He was na fou, but just had plenty." It was so with Thomas McClary, sometimes he just had plenty and then his Irish blood would rise, and he was somewhat ill natured. Old John Ferguson use to say, "Thomas McClary when he gets a little intoxicated, threatens to bate our Andy."
But we have got away from the old house. It was built by Robert McClary, he was a cabinetmaker. We remember when the house was built and we think the first family to occupy it was of the name of McGregor. That was in 1834 or 35. The McClary cabinet shop stood where the P. T. Suity and T. C. Beymer residences are, and __ __of the old shop is included in t___ ___ouses ( _____ indicate where unreadable due to a large ink blot), Richard Hatton, father of the late Frank Hatton, of the Washington City Post, lived in the old house and taught a school in the McClary shop, of which the writer was a scholar. This house may very properly be called "the hub" residence of the Cambridge of that day, four editors of the Guernsey Times, having lived in it, John A. Beatty, Richard Hattan, Moses Sarchet, and D. D. Taylor. Judge Newell Kennon while treasurer of Guernsey county lived in it, and James N. Kennon, the slaver of Benjamin F. Sipes, was born in it. It was at that time a desirable place to live. Thomas W. Tipton, who was a U. S. Senator from Nebraska, while a resident of Cambridge occupied it for a short time. Ministers, lawyers, doctors, magistrates and teachers have lived in it. It was always a tenement house. If we were to name all they would be legion. Some were honorable and some were dishonorable and some were of "easy virture."
Among its later occupants was Capt. John McFaren, the grandfather of Mrs. A. A. Taylor. He was a representative of the Washingtonian Temperance Society of 1841, was an elder in the Cambridge Presbyterian church, a good tinner and a strong anti-mason who would not look at a masonic burial or procession. He was eccentric in many things; but with all he was a good citizen, and a jovial whole souled man. He died in the old house. In the days we are writing about, there was a long row of one story frame houses on east 8th street. This was called "The McClary row." In this row lived William H. Gill, editor of the Guernsey Jeffersonian, & later
John C. Douglas, editor of the Guernsey Times. Treasurer Stephen Potts lived for many years in one of the houses. Some of the early Methodist preachers lived in the house south of the Baptist church, a part of which was removed when the church was built. P. T. Suitt began his married life in one of the original houses, James M. Smith had a portrait gallery where the Mrs. J. O. Grimes house is now. Some of these old portraits are still extant, but it would take a good guesser, to tell who were the originals. Thomas C. Beymer, began his married life on this row. He is an honorably discharged soldier, of the late war, and should have a pension, for gallant service, in the battle of "Hydes' hill," where he was taken a prisoner, by some of the "Morgan raiders."
In October 1838, Gen. William Henry Harrison, passed from the east, through Cambridge. Richard Hatton, then living in the old house, dismissed the school and followed the cavalcade to Zanesville, and the scholars wished Harrison would come along often so that "Old Dick" as we called him, might follow him off, and we would have a rest from "tare and tret." The old McClary shop being remodeled into a dwelling, was first occupied by Mathew Thompson, who married Margaret McCracken, and it was their home for many years. Mrs. Thompson is still living in her residence on Steubenville avenue, which has been handed down through the family name for many generations, she, older in years, than the writer, could give a much better history of the McClary square, than we.
Water is the question of the today, and to get water has always been a question, and perhaps always one of wrangle and dispute. On this square there was one well to supply the water for all the tenants. The bucket would get in the well or the windlass would kreak and then there was a wrangle as to who should make repairs, and sometimes the well would have rest and the disputants would seek water elsewhere until some one would relent, and repair the break. And this dispute about wells is not of recent origin, it began in Abraham's day.
Cambridge Daily Jeffersonian, 25 MAR 1895
As the old bridge is an object of interest, in our reminiscence travel to the east along Wills creek, we give here a short history of its construction, and of the topography of Wheeling Avenue, Cambridge of that day as shown by the old Wheeling road. The contractor for building the mile of the National road through Cambridge west of the Hutchison house was William McDonald. This section as then seen was regarded as a very heavy one. The hollow at the Halliday house, was crossed by a long corduroy of logs with a log bridge in the center. At the Judge Mathew's hollow was a double log bridge with a crib in the center and reached from either side, by a corduroy of logs. At the crossing of seventh street there was the same kind of bridges and structures. These three hollows were heavy fills. The crown of the hills at the Lofland house, Public Square and Taylor Block, were cut to make the fills as also a side cut on the south side of Wheeling Avenue. The original road bed was twenty four feet wide on the surface. There are but few citizens of today who can recall the topography of Wheeling Avenue as shown after the completion of the National road. The contractor, McDonald, proposed for the additional sum of $1200 to make the grade of the street, from 11th street to 6th street of uniform slope using the surplus dirt in reducing the road bed. But this sum could not be raised by the voluntary contributions of the lot owners of that day and the lot owners on the crown points were not disposed to have cuts made opposite their residences. A look at the Avenue today would seem to show that the out lay would have been judicious. McDonald's employes were generally Irish working for 62 and 1/2 cents per day with three jiggers of whiskey, the jigger was the measure of a drink. Old "Bill" Kelly, was a water and jigger boss, and was known in after years as "Water Kelley," this was the call for water. Jonathan Knights was the engineer of the National road, and was the engineer at the construction of the Central Ohio Railroad. The work through Cambridge was done in 1827-28 and the bridge was over Wills creek was built in 1828. When completed there were two tablets, one at each end inscribed "Built in 1828. J. P. Shannon, undertaker. L. V. Werwag, architect, J. Kinkead, mason." There was also a notice prescribing the number of cattle allowed on the bridge at one time. At each opening there was a notice, "Fine of $5.00 for driving faster than a walk." Kinkead was a Scotch master builder and did the work on many of the stone bridges. Werwag whilst engaged at the work here, married a daughter of Judge Metcalf. We may say that this olf bridge was a perfect structure, and when first completed, was as solid as terra firma. When it was reached by the fills, L. V. Werwag, Judge Metcalf and Col. Beatty mounted on his mule thirty years old, were the first to try its solidity. It stood that test and sixty-eight years of time's test and still is "most as good as new." A mistake was made when the foot way was made on one side. This has had a tendency to sag the bridge to that side. The foot way should have been on both sides to equalize the weight, as the support of the bridge is from the center. The abutinents rest upon heavy laced timbers laid transversely, sunk ten feet below the surface of the ground. Most of the stones were hauled from a quarry, on the now Mehaffey farm in Adams township. The bridge was built in the field on the south side of Wills creek. The creek channel was filled and thre canals opened under the bridge, for the creek to pass through. These soon widened, and washing into one. By the first survey the road was to continue on west past the Bridge House, and through the gap, on the Marshall Brown farm. For many years there was shown opposite the Arcade hotel the road bed as begun at the foot of Wheeling Avenue. The change of the road made a demand for more dirt to fill the creek, the cut through the hill as shown at the Salvation Army barracks, was widened and dirt was taken from under the Judge Metcalf hotel, now the Stoner Scott block, making it three story, and dirt was also taken from the front of the two lots west of the block. The survey of the National road was made on a principle of civil engineering, fixing the degree of grade so that the dirt from cuts and side cuts would complete the road bed, without having a surplus or having to borrow. Along its whole line there is not shown any place where dirt was wasted or borrowed. If the old bridge could talk what tales it could tell "that even to name would be unlawful." The bootstraps of the old coaches were cut and attempts made to take off trunks, in the darkness, as the speed through the bridge was not faster than a walk, attempts were made to shy the stage horses and create a stoppage, for the purpose of robbery. The shooting of likes in a melee, marks its greatest crime.
The iron and nails used in its construction were hauled from Pittsburg, by John Doyle, father of G. A. Doyle, the Steubenville avenue grocer. Doyle was then driving team for the grandfather of the writer. There was a great deal of iron used in its construction. It is double X braced, has the four stay rods at the corners, and the ends of the circular cords are bonded with heavy iron bands and the key wedges were also banded, the heavy balls and spikes were hand made. We have before said that this work was done by Matthew McKinney, father of Jesse McKinney, of Cambridge.
The old creek channel for many years, was known as "the back waters." The fish resorted to the still water and in these the fishermen with seines made some great hauls of fish. In the winter these still waters were the first to congeal and they were the skating resorts for the young folks. Although the writer was born in the year the bridge was constructed, and the National road completed through Cambridge, we can now distinctly remember when the coating of stone was put on and the road bed rolled, with an iron roller drawn by six horses, as also the second coat of lime stone of nine inches. This was the time of the great swindle of the state by the Yohns and Mulrines, that gave rise to the "tin pan" as charged by the Whigs against Sam Medary, then the leader and leading editor of the Democratic party of Ohio. The out look at the bridge has no simularity today to what it was when the creek channel was changed. Then on the east the large maple trees there yet, were on the bank of the creek, and the bend of the creek was much farther north than is shown now. And the points made on the east and west by the change of the creek were much longer, and were pleasant shady resorts, where the people of town gathered to enjoy a soical hour beneath the spreading branches of the maples and sycamores.
Cambridge Daily Jeffersonian, 17 OCT 1895
Transcribed from the Cambridge Daily Jeffersonian, 8 OCT 1895, Guernsey CO., OH. by Nancy Reynolds