Guernsey County Ohio GenWeb Project
OHGenWeb Project
USGenWeb Project

Washington Township, Guernsey Co. Oh. School Lists

The first School House was called Powell, being built of round logs and a chimney made of sticks and clay. The fireplace would take a log 6 feet long. The window was covered with greased paper. It was built by the citizens of the district 1825. Nearby was a spring. The teachers were paid by subscription.

The first teacher was:

Partial list of students who attended the log school:

In 1839, a new frame school house was erected about 80 rods west of the old one.


Students during these years to 1852 included:

Submitted by Faith Keahey.

Please return to the Guernsey Co. Homepage