An early log schoolhouse was erected in 1822, southeast of the site of Belfast. It was constructed on Montjoy Survey No. 1566, on land belonging to Stacey Storer. The community decided a school was needed and the location on Bee Run was selected. Word was sent ou that the settlers were going to gather on a certain day to roll logs. (6)
The cabin schoolhouse was constructed on round logs, when fisished it was 16 feet and had a clapboard roof. The primitive room was heated by a large fireplace across one end and had a puncheon floor. The door was fastened to the battens by wooden pins and swung from wooden hinges. The backless benches driven for legs. This log schoolhouse, with tar or oiled paper across the windown openings, was an educational center of the southeastern part of the township for many years. It was used for social gatherings as well as political meetings. Meetings were held in it whenever an itinerant minister rode through the neighborhood. the name, "Wildwood," was given to the school, suggested by the surrounding countryside. (6)
In 1842 contracts were let for a new school building to be erected three miles northwest of the site of Belfast. The log structure supervised by George W. "Squire" Siders was a large room heated by a giant "Mogul" store. It had windows with very small glass panes instead of the oiled paper used in the primitive school. Expenses for its erection were met by contributions, mostly of labor and logs.