The Methodists in the Suite community, formed a "class at an early date. They met in various homes until after the Civil War, when the congregation were able to acquire land from Sanford and Catharine (Reed) Suiter. Tjhey had a church building, which they called Cedar Chapel, ready for dedication in 1866. Land was also set aside for a cemetery, where burials were made as early as 1857. The Cedar Chapel Church and cemetey were directly south of James C. Fry's trading center.