Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames

Church of the Nazarene

Church of the Nazarene


image



Submitted by: Pat Heyveart, transcribed by: Tammie Chada


In 1919 a tent meeting was held on the Banner school grounds by Rev. B. H. Edwards which resulted in the organization of First Church of the Nazarene in Guthrie with 24 charter members by Dist. Supt. S. H. Owens.

The old Congregational Church on 8th and Warner was purchased by the congregation as a place of worship and Rev. W. P. Olin was called as the first pastor. He served until 1921.

Rev. Olin was succeeded by Rev. G. W. McCluskey who served until 1923 when Rev. J. Walter Hall was called as pastor. He served until the middle of 1925 when he had to resign because of ill health. During the pastorate of Rev. Hall, in 1924, the old Federal Jail building was purchased, which was to be the "Sanctuary" for several years in the future. Rev. R. M. Parks was Dist. Supt. at this time.

Desiring the leadership of God in this new venture, Rev. Hall went to the old jail building and crawled through a broken window into the basement, and there among the centipedes, vermin and debris, he prayed until he found the will of God on the matter of purchasing this property.

The building was remodeled and where once were the ear-marks of barred windows, criminals and sin, now stands a building which was to be dedicated to God as a place of worship.

Rev. C. H. Wiman was called in 1925 to finish the unexpired term of Rev. Hall and served until February 1926 when Rev. Geron Roberts was called as pastor.

Rev. Geron Roberts served as pastor until December 18th, 1927, when Rev. J. H. and Maggie Crawford were called and served until the Dist. Assembly in October 1930.

Rev. Lilliam Wilson was called as pastor and served until April, 1931 at which time she and Rev. Arthur Green of Alva, Oklahoma exchanged pastorates. Rev. Green served the church until 1934.

In September, 1934 Rev. C. W. Burpo was called as pastor and served until 1938. It was during this pastorate that the church had grown to what would be it's highest membership which was 190 at this time.

Rev. Homer Land was called in 1938 and served until 1940.

In October 1940 Rev. E. G. Theus was called and served until 1943.

In September 1943 Rev. E. A. Green was called and served until 1945.

Rev. F. J. Neufeld came as pastor in 1945 and left in September of 1947.

Rev. E. P. Akin was called in 1947 and served until August 1950 at which time Rev. Clinton Rock was called, who served until Aug. 1952.

On September 24th, 1952 Rev. E. L. Looman was called and served until August of 1957. During this pastorate the church was painted, air-conditioning was installed, and parsonage remodeled.

In August of 1957 Rev. Chas. M. Spicer was called and served until August of 1959, at which time Rev. Harry Moyer came as pastor and served until July 1963. During this time the sanctuary was painted, carpet and draperies installed.

On July 1, 1963 Rev. Nolan Culbertson came as pastor and remained until June 20, 1965 during which time the sanctuary was again redone. Rev. James Bailey followed as pastor on July 4th 1965 and served until 1969. During this time property again redecorated.

In 1970 Rev. Richard Osborne was called as pastor and served until 1971 and Rev. Eli Cook was called and served until 1972. During this time a new building site was purchased East of the city. The church paid $3,000. for the 3 1/2 acre site.

Rev. Monte Nabors was called as pastor in 1972 and served until 1973. Harve Muffley came from the Bible College in August 1973 and resigned in February 1974 after starting a new building.

Rev. Forrest Woodward moved from Wichita, Kansas to Kingfisher, Oklahoma for temporary retirement (rest and recuperation). Dr. Jerald R. Locke, Dist. Supt. appointed Rev. Woodward as pastor with the responsibility of finishing the building which was dedicated on Sunday afternoon, May 4th1975 with Dr. Jerald R. Locke as the speaker, and featured singers were the "Shekinahs", a Gospel Quartet.

As of this July 1975 date, Forrest Woodward is still pastor.

Additional Notes:

In 1973 the old parsonage was sold during the pastorate of Monte Nabors.

During the stay of Harvey Muffley, the old church building was sold for $9,500. in the fall of 1973.

During the ministry of Rev. Nolan Culbertson, the ceiling of the Auditorium was lowered and suspended ceiling installed.

While Rev. Bailey was pastor, new rest rooms were installed, some new electric work done, basement remodeled, water coolers installed.

About 1936, under Rev. C. W. Burpo, the exterior of the building was covered with cement stucco and extensive remodeling done. The former "dungeon" area of the old jail was renovated and windows cut into the walls to make another class room. A heavy iron door used at the dungeon entrance was removed during the World War 2 and donated to the Red Cross during a drive for scrap iron.

Historical Highlights

The Old Jail was built of native red stone about 45 feet by 100 feet in length, two stories high, with walls two feet thick. The only entrance to the main structure was though a heavy steel door ten-feet from the ground with a steel cage outside and reached by an iron stairway enclosed on every side with steel bars and a steel gate at the foot of the stairs. Every window had double bars, with the walls of several of the cells reinforced with steel. The flat roof had a three foot stone wall around it. In spite of every pre-caution there were three or four spectacular jail breaks during the history of the institution.

Of the many prisoners confined, the one most closely guarded was Bill Doolin, desperate outlaw of the early days who, after scouting for many months with a heavy price tag on his head, was captured by Bill Tightens at Eureka Springs, Arkansas, in 1896. Brought to Guthrie and placed in the strongest cell in the jail, with a time lock on the door. Doolin, one Sunday evening, led seven other prisoners in a successful break for liberty. The seven were recaptured, but Doolin was never again behind bars.

Other notorious prisoners held at various times in the old prison were "Long Tom", only survivor of the bandit gang who barricaded themselves in Ingals and gave battle for a day and a night, Zip Wyatt, Three-Finger Jack, Arkansas Red, Ben Cravens, and Tom King, the early day horse thieves' king.

At three different times prisoners were sent to jail under sentence of death by hanging, but no execution took place.

John Dossett, a white man from the Osage reservation, under sentence to hang for the alleged poisoning of is sweetheart, a French-Indian girl, was in the jail for over a year while his case was being heard on appeals in higher courts, and so won the confidence of his jailors that he acted as a trusty and was allowed to go to the city unattended. It was a common thing for Dossett to drop in at the newspaper offices at night to get exchanges for the prisoners at the jail. The Supreme Court of the United States having refused to interfere in his case the day for the execution was fixed an carpenters started to work building the gallows in a fence enclosure at the back of the jail. Everybody in the vicinity of the jail had the "jitters" over the erection of the death machine, but Dossett went about as calm as ever, and the Wednesday night proceeding the fatal Friday, after the gallows had been completed and the rope tested, he made his final call to the newspaper offices, gave the reporters all goodbyes and carried off a bundle of exchanges and magazines for his buddies at the prison. The next day the man who had really been guilty of the crime was shot, and confessed the crime before dying. The hanging was called off.

About 1915 the Federal Government changed their jail system and began contracting with counties over the state to care for Federal prisoners. The old jail was used by Logan County for several years until their new jail in the basement of the Court House was completed. Later the building was offered to the newly organized local post of the American Legion for a hut, but the boys didn't like the idea and turned down the offer.

The building was purchased by the Guthrie Congregation of the Church of the Nazarene in 1923, and through their efforts the gloomy old bastile was converted into a comfortable and modern church building. It took on a new look as the roof was installed, windows enlarged and the partitions torn out, with no semblance of the one time prison left.

The only charter member of the church now living is Mrs. Marie Thorn. Mr. Bill Thorn, her husband, later joined the church. He was superintendent of parks in Guthrie for many years.


Church Yr Ends
Pastor
Membership
Average Sunday Attendance
1919
W. P. Olin
50
-
1920
W. P. Olin
70
-
1921
G. W. McCluskey
96
-
1922
G. W. McCluskey
56
-
1923
J. Walter Hall
70
-
1924
J. Walter Hall
76
-
1925
C. H. Wimans
80
-
1926
Geron Roberts
50
-
1927
Geron Roberts
50
-
1928
J. H. Crawford
90
-
1929
J. H. Crawford
67
81
1930
Mrs. Wilson
79
-
1931
Arthur Green
87
86
1932
Arthur Green
87
76
1933
Arthur Green
96
67
1934
C. W. Burpo
104
75
1935
C. W. Burpo
106
170
1936
C. W. Burpo
160
180
1937
C. W. Burpo
190
190
1938
Homer Land
150
167
1939
Homer Land
161
143
1940
E. G. Theus
153
128
1941
E. G. Theus
141
138
1942
E. G. Theus
145
--
1943
E. A. Green
149
120
1944
E. A. Green
149
120
1945
Floyd Neufeld
120
101
1946
Floyd Neufeld
106
124
1947
E. P. Akin
95
121
1948
E. P. Akin
114
129
1949
E. P. Akin
115
133
1950
Clinton Rock
106
120
1951
Clinton Rock
120
157
1952
E. L. Looman
119
158
1953
E. L. Looman
100
140
1954
E. L. Looman
101
157
1955
E. L. Looman
107
186
1956
E. L. Looman
107
164
1957
Chas. Spicer
96
142
1958
Chas. Spicer
101
128
1959
Harry Moyer
103
120
1960
Harry Moyer
100
120
1961
Harry Moyer
94
116
1962
Harry Moyer
75
101
1963
N. Culbertson
68
88
1964
N. Culbertson
72
74
1965
James Bailey
64
91
1966
James Bailey
57
102
1967
James Bailey
57
97
1968
James Bailey
64
98
1969
James Bailey
64
97
1970
R. Osborne
63
76
1971
Eli Cook
58
75
1972
M. Nabors
62
87
1973
M. Nabors
62
87
1974
H. Muffley
41
43
1975
F. Woodward
41
43
1976
F. Woodward
29
32

Note: Fall S. S. Attendance in 1973 was in the 60's. A number moved and the spring of 1974 S. S. Attendance dropped to "teens" and "twenties". Attendance now on increase.

Membership Roll, 1935-1936, C. W. Burpo, Pastor

Mrs. Jamie Barrett
Sarah Batchelor
Mrs. Bennett
Marvin Bishop
Rev. Robert Bishop
Ivy Bolerjack
Mr. Bradly
Mrs. Bradly
Byron T. Brady
Dolphos Brady
Lorene Brady
Mrs. Byron T. Brady
M. C. Brakebill
Cecil Brookshire
Agnes Brown
L. L. Brown
Minnie Brown
Minnie Bruder
Margaret Burnham
Pearl Burns
Cordie Burpo
Elwyn Burpo
Lloyd Burpo
Olen Burpo
Rev. C. W. Burpo
Ruby Burpo
Virginia Burpo
Ethel Cairnes
Edyth Cairnes
Julia Cairnes
Mrs. Arizona Cairnes
W. H. Cairnes
Annie L. Campbell
John Campbell
Dan Canning
C. G. Caudle
Mrs. Lillie Caudle
Mrs. O. M. Cheves
Naoma Cheves
O. M. Cheves
Paul Cheves
Alex Colibert
Mrs. A. Colibert
Mrs. Cunningham
Mrs. Daniels
Mrs. Addie Davidson
L. A. Dean
Mrs. C. L. Deaton
Elizabeth Ellis
Elsie Embrey
Ray Embrey
Rosa Fisher
Allie Fullin
Lizzie Gaines
Joe Goodbread
Mrs. Joe Goodbread
Onean Goodman
Eva Gum
Hazel Gum
C. O. Higgins
Clara Hoag
E. M. Hoag
Cecil Holeman
Mrs. Hutchison
Ethel Hopkins
Mrs. J. C. Hopkins
Mr. C. E. Jestes
Mrs. C. E. Jestes
Robert Jestes
Margie Keithley
Audley Kelley
Meryl Kelley
Mrs. T. T. Kelley
Dorothy Kellogg
H. A. Kellogg
Leroy Kellogg
Mrs. H. A. Kellogg
Delma Lambert
Mrs. Emma Lambert
Sarah Lambert
W. L. Lambert
Richard Landriault
Alpha Lane
Leonard Lane
Mrs. Robert Lee
Ada Lellis
Stanley Lellis
C. L. Lewis
C. T. Ligget
Mrs. C. T. Ligget
Mrs. J. H. Massey
Mrs. Ida Mater
Mrs. Ralph Mater
Ralph Mater
Mrs. McKellop
Bessie McWilliams
Gleen McWilliams
G. B. Miner
Mrs. G. B. Miner
Bernard Miner
Pauline Miner
Eunice Morgan
Howard Morgan
Cora Belle Nelson
David Nelson
Oscar Newman
Nellie Olliver
Anna Ott
Pearl Oxley
Dorothy Patterson
Mrs. Birdie Patterson
Elmer Phillips
Etta Phillips
Eugene Phillips
Malcome Phillips
Pearl Phillips
Violet Phillips
Willard Phillips
Mrs. Ruby Phy
Mrs. Raymond Purviance
Raymond Purviance
Leedoria Richards
Mrs. J. G. Richards
Rev. J. G. Richards
Sylvia Richards
Elias Roller
Rachel Roller
Mrs. Lorene Rushing
Mary Jane Russell
Mrs. Sawyer
Fannie Sheldon
Naomi Sheldon
Ruth Sheldon
W. E. Sheldon
C. J. Shumate
Mrs. C. J. Shumate
Berg Simmons
Earl Simmons
Gertrude Simmons
Ira Simmons
Maxine Simmons
Mildred Simmons
John Simpson
John Sires
Mrs. John Sires
Adna Smith
Alice Smith
Aleen Smith
Edna Smith
Fred Smith
George Smith
George Smith (different from above)
Guy Smith
Hattie Smith
Lydia H. Smith
Mr. J. T. Smith
Mr. Levi Smith
Mrs. Mary Smith
Maty May Smith
Suzanne Smith
Theodore Smith
Mrs. Nora Stafford
Anna Stelter
J. S. Stevenson
Mrs. J. S. Stevenson
Geraldine Stitzel
Mrs. George Stocker
Sallie Stumbaugh
Mabel Thompson
Mrs. Marie Thorn
W. F. Thorn
E. David Thoroughman
Lonnie L. Thoroughman
Mrs. Trueblood
Rev. Trueblood
Mrs. C. L. VanNostrand
Mr. Henry Wheeler
Mrs. Henry Wheeler
Reed William
Marie Williams
Mr. George Wilson
Paul Woodul
Irene Young (Brakebill)

The above list of names were complied from old records.


Revivals & Special Speakers

Evangelist
Date
Pastor
W. W. Swan
October 1938
H. Land
Melza Brown
December 1938
H. Land
B. Edwards Singer
1939
H. Land
Ray Hance
1939
H. Land
Glen Jones
1943
E. A. Green
E. E. Hale
1946
F. Neufeld
Sp. Johnson
1946
F. Neufeld
J. R. Brown
1948
E. P. Akin
J. R. Carter
1950
C. Rock
L. H. Newcomb
1950
C. Rock
A. K. Jones
1952
C. Rock
George Brannon
1954
E. L. Looman
L. M. Payne
1954 ?
E. Looman
Paul-Hattie Smith
1954
E. Looman
M. B. Hartzler
1955
E. L. Looman
C. Raines
1957
C. Spicer
Claude Burton
1958
C. Spicer
Clinton Raines
1959
Harry Moyer
J. A Allen
1960
Harry Moyer
E. Armstrong
1961
Harry Moyer
J. J. Steele
1962
Harry Moyer
Emmet Taylor
1964
N. Culbertson
Paul Stuart
1963
N. Culbertson
Leon Cook
1966
J. P. Bailey
O. Firestone
1967
J. Bailey
Carl Prentice
1967
J. P. Bailey
Paul Gray
1971
Eli Cook
L. Williams
1971
Eli Cook
J. A. Allen
1974
F. Woodward
R. Lindley
1974
F. Woodward

The following evangelists were in revivals, but dates are unknown: Dick & Lucile Law, Roy & Ruth Christ, H. E. Darnell (twice), Carl Kruse & Wife, J. C. Dobson, Dr. Lauriston DuBois and Rev. & Mrs. Byers

A number of pastor's wives have come out of the Guthrie Church: Madylin Cook, Diane Briggs, Doris May Adkins, Billie Thorn, Brance Moyer (Preacher), Barbara Pickering, Howard Culbertson (Preacher).

Herald of Holiness carried a story in 1955 of record attendance of 308 E. L. Looman Pastor, O. G. Henness, Supt.

Addendum

No records available informs us of the day of the month in which the Guthrie Church was officially organized, the local Church Board at the meeting held on July 2nd 1975 set the Second Sunday of August as the day for celebrating the anniversary each year.

Our 56th anniversary is being celebrated on Sunday, August 10th this year (1975).

After the forgoing pages were printed, we discovered two revivals were held during these years which were not mentioned:....

1. During the pastorate of Rev. E. A. Green, 1943 & 1944, The Heasley's were in a revival.
2. During the pastorate of Rev. James P. Bailey 1965 - 1969, Rev. M. L. Turbyfill held a revival.

We are sure that other revivals were held during these years, but available records do not list them.

Due to understandable reasons, the membership and Sunday School attendance dropped to an all-time low during the financial struggle to finish the new building, but there is now a steady improvement in attendance, membership, and above all - spiritual improvement. It is now on the way up!

As Guthrie Nazarenes begin to return to the Guthrie Nazarene Church greater things will yet be accomplished.

We commend Dr. J. R. Locke, Dist. Supt. for much hard work and time spent in behalf of the financial arrangements necessary to complete the new facilities. Also the help of N. W. Okla. District which was so greatly appreciated.



|Logan County Churches Index Page|


Updated: Wednesday, 06-Aug-2008 21:57:56 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

© by Tammie Chada

The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!