In Early Days, Chapter Met in Frame House
Since its inception here 50 years ago, Guthrie Lodge No. 35, A. F. and A. M. - the oldest Masonic lodge in Oklahoma proper - has had three principal building headquarters.
The first meeting, on September 10, 1889, was on the top floor of a two-story frame building at 207 S. Second-st, a structure long since torn down and almost forgotten in the fleeting years.
During Guthrie's pioneer days the site was in the center of both the social and business activities.
The building, one of the first erected here, housed the Bailey drug store on the ground floor in 1889. Later, the Plagg Hardware company moved in.
Growing in membership and financially, the lodge invested about $15,000 to construct a brick two-story building at 116 E. Oklahoma-av, and moved into the new headquarters about 1902.
After being located there for the following 24 years, the lodge moved into the Masonic temple, corner of S. Broad-st. and E. Harrison-av. There are located its own offices, auditorium, files and even recreational rooms and lobbies for members during meetings and conventions.
The Chapter and Commandery of the York Rite, another branch of Masonry, now occupies the lodge's former quarters in the 100 block on E. Oklahoma-av.
The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.