Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames

Coyle Land Site Laid Out In '89

Newspaper Clippings

Logan County, Oklahoma


Article transcribed & submitted by: Tammie Chada

The Guthrie Daily Leader
Sunday, April 18, 1971
© The Guthrie Daily Leader

Coyle Land Site Laid Out in '89

The Coyle land site was laid out in the fall of 1889 by U. S. Gus and W. H. Coyle, the land on the south side of Main Street having been bought from John Henderson and on the north side from T. J. Lewis. The railroad went through the same fall.
The first store was started in the early spring of 1900, a hardware , furniture and undertaking establishment, by Lee and Sons. The sons, Frank and Pleny are now running a hardware store in Greeley, Colo. The Cimarron Valley Bank with Charles Higbee as president and Bert Higbee as cashier was established soon after. Other businesses coming in the first year were H. Gephart, drygoods and grocer, which had been at Langston, the Arkansas Lumber Co., with Roy Teal as Manager, Cimarron Valley Clipper, E. J. Garner, editor Hotel Del Monte with Gus Staus proprietor, Ed Mears drug store, J. E. Owens grocery, Houghton Department Store and Arthur Rhoads Dry Goods. H. Gephart was the first postmaster, the office being in his store.
The Co-operative Gin which was one mile south of Coyle was moved to Coyle the next year. It was under the management of W. J. Fouts until two years later when it was taken over by W. H. Coyle. The Peoples State bank was organized in 1902 with J. D. Towsend president and M. E. Fruin as cashier. Jake Douglas and Roy Teal were directors.
Drs. Spurgeon, J. D. Kernodle and White began their practice in Coyle in 1900. The first Sunday school was organized in 1902 in the cotton gin with nail kegs as seats. J. T. Owens was the first pastor. The school district was organized soon after the opening. It was decided at the first to have a mixed school but rather than permit this Frank Thompson, who still lives two miles southeast of coyle, taught a school in the granary on the George Carter farm. The patrons then got busy and erected a building which was called the "Lily White" school. In 1900 district 84 was moved to Coyle with M. E. Trapp as superintendent and Miss Zoe Goodrich assisting.

|Logan County Clippings Index Page|

Updated: Wednesday, 06-Aug-2008 22:04:06 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

© by Tammie Chada

The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!