This is where OKLAHOMA began!
The area that is now Logan County, and in fact, all of Oklahoma, was part of the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. Between 1803 and 1830, the area changed hands between the Osage, Choctaw and Quapaw tribes, with the panhandle area under the control of Spain. From 1830 to 1855, the area of Oklahoma was known as Indian Territory, belonging to the Cherokee, Creek, Seminole, Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations. The panhandle area came under the control of the United States in 1850, and was considered as No Man's Land.
Between 1855 and 1866, specific tribal boundaries were formed. From 1866 to 1889, numerous other tribes were relocated to Indian Territory, including Cheyenne and Arapaho, Comanche, Kiowa and Apache to name a few. An area called The Unassigned Lands was left in the north central part of the territory. This area, including most of what is now Logan County, was opened for settlement by the land run April 22, 1889. It is estimated there were over 50,000 people who participated in the run. Guthrie grew to some 10,000 people overnight.
The name of Logan County was adopted in 1890. The eastern boundary of Logan County was moved 6 miles east in 1891 following the addition of Iowa tribal lands. From 1899 to 1906, Oklahoma took shape, dividing into Oklahoma Territory, primarily the western part with Guthrie as the capitol, and Indian Territory, primarily the eastern part. This brought up the question of single statehood or double statehood. This question was settled in June of 1906 when President Theodore Roosevelt signed an enabling act providing for a single state from the "Twin Territories."
The constitutional convention was held in Guthrie, with 55 delegates each from Oklahoma and Indian Territories, and 2 delegates from the Osage district. The act further provided that Guthrie was to remain the capitol of the new state until 1913. The constitution was finally ratified by the voters of the two territories on November 17, 1907, thus creating the State of Oklahoma and adding the 46th star to the US flag. A symbolic "Wedding of the Territories" took place on the steps of the Carnegie Library in Guthrie.
Following a proposition by Democratic Governor Haskell in 1910, who considered Guthrie to be a "Republican nest", the voters approved Oklahoma City as the new capital. The state seal was removed from Guthrie on the night of June 11, 1910, and Governor Haskell declared Oklahoma City to be the capital on June 12th, where it remains today.
Most of the early territorial records are still maintained in the Logan County court house, and at the Oklahoma Territorial Museum in Guthrie. Others are located at the Oklahoma Historical Society in Oklahoma City, the University of Oklahoma library in Norman, and at the national Archives branch in Ft. Worth. Regrettably, many of the early records are as yet undiscovered.
The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.