Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames
Hotels of Logan County
Submitted by: Bob Chada
Hotels flourished during the 1889-1910 era when Guthrie was a major trade and rail center following the land run of April 22, 1889, and Guthrie served as the territorial capital after statehood.
The removal of the state capital to Oklahoma City in 1910 was a crippling economic blow.
There were about fifty hotels in Guthrie alone during this time period.
Following is a partial list of these Hotels. If you have any information on any of these or pictures that you would like to share, or information on other Hotels in Logan County, please contact coordinator.
Was located on North 1st Street. Was formerly known as the Dally. In 1910 was managed by Kenneth Orr. In 1912 was managed by W. A. Broxson.
Was located at Cleveland and 7th Street in West Guthrie. It was built after the run in 1889 by W. T. Cannon, Mayor of West Guthrie, becoming the first fully equipped hotel in Oklahoma. But due to it's location it was not to be a hotel. It was used for City Government office and later for primary grade classes of the public schools. This building was home to the Territorial Deaf and Dumb School until after statehood in 1907. The building was then converted into a sanitarium for Negroes.
The Amiel Anderson House
In 1896 was located at 208 South 4th.
In 1903-1904 was located at 333 West Harrison.
Was first located at 1st and Vilas, then about 1896 moved to North 2nd. The owner was James Douglas.
The Astor House
Was formerly called The English Kitchen. In 1903-1904 it was located at 204 E. Oklahoma.
In 1908 was located at 301 S. 2nd, and was managed by Mrs. Martha M. Ballard.
In 1896 was located at 322 West Harrison.
Was located at 228 West Harrison. They advertized first class board by the day or week. Mrs. L. J. Benedict was the owner.
The Big Five Hotel
In 1896 was located at 114 West Harrison.
In 1908 was located at 317 West Oklahoma. In 1910 the name was changed to Saddle Rock Hotel.
In 1910 was located at 322 West Oklahoma and owned by F. W. Burton.
Was located on the se corner of Government Square. They advertized daily rates at $2 per day or $5 per week. T. D. Hance was the proprietor.This hotel was destroyed by fire on April 15, 1893.
Was located at 226 W. Harrison.
The City Hotel
Was located across the street from the railroad depot. They advertized daily rates at 50 cents per night or $3 weekly. It was owned by W. H. West.
In 1903-1904 was located at 404 West Harrison. In 1910 was managed by G. D. Wright. In 1912 was managed by C. L. Wright.
Was located on North 1st Street. In 1894 this was the only brick hotel in the city and was owned by J. W. Dally. Later changed it's name to The Alamo.
In 1903-1904 was located at 311 West Oklahoma.
In 1903-1904 was located at 315 West Harrison.
Was located at 227 West Oklahoma.
Was located at 210 West Harrison. In 1910 was managed by J. W. Daughtery.
The English Kitchen
Was located at 204 E. Oklahoma. They advertized they were centrally located and had rates of $1.25 a day. Sometime between 1896 and 1903 the name was changed to The Astor Hotel.
The Farmers Hotel
J. Langley is proprietor of the Farmer's Hotel which has board and lodging. Beds are 25 cents and meals are 25 cents. Dec 1909 Jacob Langley has sold the Farmers Hotel to Mrs. Rachel Annis of Kaw, OK.
Was located at the corner of Cleveland and Division.
Was formerly known as the Occidential. In 1910 was managed by W. W. Giffin.
The Grand Pacific
Was actually a tent hotel. It was called "The Hotel of Guthrie" in 1889. It consisted of 50 tents, five of which were used for dinning rooms. It was located two blocks east of the land office. It was operated by L. A. Gourdan. It was a first rate place. It had beds with spring mattresses and first rate meals. It did not last long.
The Grand View
In 1903-1904 was located at 210 North 2nd.
In 1903-1904 was located at 114 N. 2nd. In 1910 was managed by Mrs. May Seaman.
Was located at 5th and Harrison, and owned by Jenny Henderson.
In 1903-1904 was located at 523 S. Division.
The Hotel deHoss
In 1896 was located 523 West Harrison.
The Hotel Excelsior
In 1903-1904 was located at 301 S. 2nd.
The Hotel Oklahoma
Was located at 206 W. Harrison.
Was located at the corner of 6th and Oklahoma.
Was named for Ione Coyle Gray, daughter of the builder, W. H. Coyle. Was located at 201-209 East Oklahoma and the doors were opened October 1, 1907. Was 5 stories high and cost about $450,000. It had 156 rooms. This hotel also served to the city's society circles. Manager were J. J. O'Rourk and J. G. Bock. Building was destroyed in January of 1974 to make way for a parking lot.
Was located at the corner of Broad and Noble. Advertized they had the "Best Cooks in Oklahoma." Rates were $1 per day and parties called for all trains.
Was located opposite the railroad depot on Harrison. This hotel, which was a 2 story structure, was built before the street was laid out and other buildings were built in front of it.
In 1905 was located at 330 West Harrison.
The M M Ballard
In 1905 was located at 301 S. 1st.
In 1905 was located at 110-112 N. 2nd Street. J. W. Daughtery was the owner. This hotel had hot and cold baths and rates ranging from $1.25 to $1.40 per day. In 1910 was managed by Gustave Massen.
In 1903-1904 was located at 3221/2 West Harrison.
In 1896 was located at 323 West Harrison. This hotel was destroyed by fire right after the turn of the century.
The Occidential Hotel
Was located at 219 S. 1st.
The Palace Hotel
One of Guthrie's first hotels following the April 22, 1889 land run. It was located at 2nd and Harrison Avenue. It was owned by Dave Blubaugh. In 1894 the land was sold to the Oklahoma State Capital Newspaper. The Palace Hotel was relocated to West Harrison Street. You could get a room at $1.50 to $2.00 per day. It is said that outlaw Bill Dalton did not pay for his room and board, he just walked out.
Was located at 3rd and Harrison.
In 1905 was located at 201 West Harrison and owned by Mrs. America Pearson.
Was located on North 1st Street and managed by Pete Priess. This hotel had underground rooms. It was started in 1909 and continued into the 1940's.
Was constructed in 1892 at 116 East Harrison, by J. M. Brooks, and was three stories high. Was the focal point of territorial government matters and the city's society circles. The second territorial legislative session was held in the hotel ball room. Was home for several weeks to Charles Haskell, the state's first governor after November 16, 1907. Others included Bird S. McGuire, state legislator William Murray and family. Numerous democratic legislature leaders stayed at the Royal. Was next to the Brooks Opera House. In 1910 was managed by James M. Brooks. The building was destroyed in the late 1960's to make way for a parking lot.
The Saddle Rock
Was located on West Oklahoma. In 1910 was managed by I. H. Caldwell. This hotel was a favorite among the railroad men and traveling salesman, because of its proximity location tot he railroad depot.
The Santa Fe
Was located on South 5th street. There is some speculation on whether this was a hotel or just a boarding house.
The John Schetrompf
In 1905 was located at 524 South 1st.
Was located at 2nd and Oklahoma.
Was located at the corner of Division and Oklahoma. The owner was Charles A. Filtsch and had $2 per day and offered a sample room to salesman. This hotel only lasted a couple of years and was named to honor the Congressman Springer who was instrumental in opening the territory for settlement.
In 1905 was located at 517 West Oklahoma and owned by C. S. Swan.
The Wanrer House
Was located at 217 S. 1st.
In 1912 was managed by John Youst.
|Logan County Researchers Homepage|
Updated: Thursday, 07-Aug-2008 05:53:06 CDT
This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.
© by Tammie Chada
The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.
All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!