Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames

Logan County Railroads
train pic

Logan Country Railroads



Researched & Submitted by: Bob Chada


On June 6, 1870, the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad Company (KATY) laid the first track in what is now Oklahoma, closely followed by the A & P (Atlantic and Pacific) in 1871. From then until about 1886, no other railroad companies were allowed to construct lines.



SOUTHERN KANSAS RAILWAY COMPANY


In 1887, the Southern Kansas Railway Company (purchased by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe in 1899) laid track south from Arkansas City, Kansas through the Logan County communities of Orlando, Mulhall, Lawrie, Guthrie, Seward and Waterloo to Purcell, Indian Territory. This line still runs through Guthrie and was used during the run of 1889 to bring settlers into the territory.- See related article

The line between Enid and Guthrie was constructed in 1902 by the Denver, Enid and Gulf, which was taken over by the Santa Fe in 1907.



ELECTRIC RAILROADS IN
LOGAN COUNTY


The Oklahoma Railway Company was incorporated June 14, 1904 in Oklahoma City as the Oklahoma City Railway and originally was made up of the Metropolitan Railway Company, a local street railway (streetcar) system, and the Oklahoma Electric Terminal Company. In 1925, the company acquired terminal property in Guthrie formerly operated by the M-K-T, and in 1926 acquired terminal property in Guthrie formerly owned by the Rock Island Railway Company.

Construction of 16.0 miles of track between Edmond and Guthrie was completed in 1916. The line remained in operation until 1931.



GUTHRIE AND WESTERN
RAILWAY COMPANY


This company was incorporated January 9, 1900, and was sold to the Eastern Oklahoma Railway Company on June 16, 1902, and further sold to the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe on June 20, 1907.

The Guthrie and Western extended from Seward, with its connection to the Santa Fe, to Cashion in Kingfisher County. A total of 10.6 miles was constructed in 1900, and the line was abandoned in 1934.



THE EASTERN OKLAHOMA
RAILROAD COMPANY


This company began in 1899, and from 1900-1902 laid 47.9 miles of track from Guthrie to Cushing. The line was purchased by the Santa Fe in 1907, and the tracks were abandoned in 1957.



CHOCTAW, OKLAHOMA AND GULF RAILROAD COMPANY


This company was founded in 1902 and almost immediately changed its name to the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Western Railroad Company. A total of 38.5 miles of track were laid between 1902 and 1903 from Guthrie to Chandler. The line was sold to the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company in 1904, and the line was abandoned in 1924.



DENVER, ENID AND GULF


The Denver Enid and Gulf constructed the line between Enid and Guthrie in 1902, connecting the Logan County communities of Marshall, Lovell, Crescent, Wirt and Guthrie. The line was taken over by the Santa Fe in 1907, and now is part of the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe.



FORT SMITH AND WESTERN RAILROAD COMPANY OF OKLAHOMA


Incorporated in 1902, later sold to the Fort Smith and Western Railroad company in 1903-1907. Logan County track was laid in 1903 "from a point in Lincoln County to Guthrie", a distance of 52.0 miles. The line was sold at auction in 1939, with that part of the line from milepost 41 to Guthrie being dismantled 1939-1940.



MISSOURI, KANSAS AND OKLAHOMA RAILROAD COMPANY OF 1903


This company was incorporated in 1903 with all assets essentially going to the KATY in 1904. A total of 23.0 miles of track were laid from 1903-1904 from Fallis in Lincoln County to Guthrie. Operation was abandoned in 1918.



SAINT LOUIS, EL RENO AND WESTERN RAILWAY COMPANY


Incorporation took place in 1903, and operations started in 1904 over 42.2 miles of track laid between El Reno and Guthrie. Operations were discontinued in 1922 (except for limited operations for grain harvest in 1924 after which the track was dismantled.)



GUTHRIE AND KINGFISHER
RAILWAY COMPANY


Although the name suggests that this line had track in Logan county, 16 miles were laid from Kingfisher to Cashion, all in Kingfisher County, in 1899. There presumably was a connection with the Guthrie and Western tracks at Cashion.

This line was sold to the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company in 1900, and the line was abandoned and tracks removed in 1937.



For maps of the railroad lines check out the township information pages.


RESEARCH TIP

If your ancestor was a railroader you may want to contact: United States of America Railroad Retirement Board, 844 Rush Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611. They have pension information and will answer queries about an individual if you provide your railroader's information . A SASE is required.


If you know of any other railroads for Logan County, please e-mail me with information and I'll add it to this page.

.mail

Check out this site:
U S Railroad Retirement Board



|Logan County Researchers Homepage|




Updated: Friday, 08-Aug-2008 10:19:07 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

© by Tammie Chada

The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!