St. Katherine's Catholic School was founded for the benefit of the numerous Colored population of Guthrie, continues to thrive.
The average attendance at the beginning of the first school term (Sept. 6, 1896) did not exceed twenty-five, but increased so rapidly, that in three months, one hundred and fifty pupils were enrolled. At present (May 17, 1899) the attendance is about seventy or eighty, which is considered good, at this season, as may of the older pupils, are obliged to seek other employment, very early in the spring.
The Congregation of St. Katherine's Church, has also gained in number's for instead of one member as at first, there are now forty, while others are preparing for Baptism; both adults and children prove quite intelligent and docile, and endeavors to profit by every advantage given them.
St. Katherine's Church and School were established by Right Reverend Bishop Meerschaert of Guthrie, with the generous assistance, of Venerable Mother Katherine Drexel of Philadelphia.
Many of the present good results are to be attributed to the jealous and devoted efforts of the first Pastor, Rev. Father Placidus Dierick, O. S. B.
The School is taught by the Sisters of Saint Benedict, whose aim is to give the students under their care, not merely a knowledge, of the sciences, but a good moral training as well.
The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.