Where the Roads Run That Enter the Strip
On the Northern Border
There Will Be a Reservation
of 8,640 Acres Made Permanent
by the Proclamation
September 3, 1893-Guthrie Daily News
The strip is already traversed by four lines of railroad, with several other lines just a little outside. Two of the strip lines are branches of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe, one running obliquely through the western end in a southwesterly direction and the other running southward from Kansas through the Chilocco Indian Industrial School reservation into Oklahoma at the eastern side. A third, the Chicago, Kansas and Nebraska, runs southward through the center of the strip, and the fourth, the Kansas and Arkansas Valley road, cuts through the northwestern corner.
In the western portion, along the line of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad, are the settlements of Warren, Alva, Noel, Eagle Chief, Waynoka, Nimrod, Sutton, Griffin, Warwick, Woodward, Orland, Norris, Gage, Stockton and Goodwin. In the eastern side on the other branch of the same road, are the stations of Ponca and Magnolia, besides a number of settlements on what were formerly the reservations of the Tonkawa, Kansans, Pawnee and Osage Indians. On the northern border, upon a reservation of 8,640 acres, is the Chilocco School. By the terms of the law opening the strip it will be continued in operation and the reservation made permanent. In the western part of the strip is the establishment known as Camp Supply Military reservation.
The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.