Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames
Antelope Township, Logan County, Oklahoma
Logan County, Oklahoma
T17N, R1W Indian Meridian
Researched, written, © and map provided by: Bob Chada
While there is no evidence to support it, Antelope township probably took its name from antelope creek, which runs along the western side of the township, or from the community of antelope which was on antelope creek.
It should be noted that the northern boundary of Logan County in this area is set by the Cimarron River. Sections 1 and 2 of the township lie primarily north of the river and are in Payne County, while all or part of sections 27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33, and 34 of Clarkson township, Payne County, lie south of the river and are therefore part of Logan County.
One of the oldest and most interesting parts of Antelope township is the area made up of the Clarkson sections. This area was home to cattlemen long before the run of 1889, and became known as "Cowboy Flats
." Several of the cowboys working in this area went on to become outlaws who rode with the Doolin and Dalton gangs.
A dugout on the sw ¼ of Section 34-18-1 W (Clarkson township) was the rendezvous for the Dalton gang before the raid on Coffeyville, Kansas.
Alfred G. D. Newcomb, also known as "Bitter Creek" and "Slaughter Kid", filed on the NW ¼ of section 34-18-1W. He became a member of the Doolin gang and was killed near Ingles, IT in 1895.
Richard L. Broadwell, also known as "Dick Broadwell" and "Texas Jack", had the SW ¼ of 33-18-1W. He joined the Dalton gang and was killed during the Coffeyville raid.
William Power, also known as "Bill Powers" and "Tom Evans", filed on the SE ¼ of 33-18-1W. He also joined the Dalton gang and was killed during the Coffeyville raid.
Dick West, also known as "Little Dick" held the NE ¼ of 33-18-1W, but never filed on it. He ran with the Doolin and Wyatt-Black gangs before being killed south east of Guthrie in 1898.
Ellsworth Wyatt, also known as "Zip Wyatt", "Dick Yeager", and "Wild Charley" filed on the SE ¼ of 32-18-1W. He later formed the Wyatt-Black gang, and died of gunshot wounds in Enid in 1895 (see Marshall township).
Following the run of 1889, a homesteader in the area named Lafayette "Bud" Campbell negotiated the purchase of Dick Broadwells land for his brother, George Washington Campbell, and the purchase of the land of Bill Powers for Georges daughter Annie.
In 1899, Annie sold the east half of her land to U. C. Guss of Guthrie to be used as the site for the town of Campbell. Guss also deeded a 300 foot strip of land to the Eastern Oklahoma Railroad Company so that the line would be built through the town. The townsite was surveyed and the town of Campbell was born.
When the post office opened on January 24, 1900, the name was changed to Anna (for Annie Campbell) since there was already a post office by the name of Campbell in the territory.
In 1904, the post office name was changed to Pleasant Valley. That name was adopted for the town in 1907, and is still used today.
The town plat for the all black city of Langston was filed on August 5, 1891 by Charles H. Robbins, a white man. Working with him were Edward P. McCabe and James B. Robinson, both black men. Langston was named for John Mercer Langston of Virginia. Langston was a lawyer, educator, US Congressman and diplomat to Haiti.
McCabe probably did more than anyone to promote the growth and development of Langston. He also served as the first Treasurer of Logan County.
Langston University, originally founded under the Second Morrill Act of August 30, 1890 and then known as the Colored Agricultural and Normal University, was established by the Territorial Legislature in 1897. It opened its doors on September 14, 1898.
When the Eastern Oklahoma Railroad Company constructed the line from Guthrie to Cushing in 1899-1900 (the green highlight on the map), the line failed to go through the community of Iowa City, which was located in the east side of section 11. To remedy this, Iowa City literally picked up and moved 1 ½ mile east and ½ mile south to the railroad, and changed its name to Coyle.
Several other communities, all of which are no longer in existence, include Antelope in section 18, Bestin/Taylor in section 7, Burwick in section 32, Elm/Martin in section 15, and Pike in section 8.
A total of 7 cemeteries are currently known in Antelope township, and are as follows:
Lutheran North, on the east side of section 9.
Lutheran South, on the SE corner of section 15.
Mt. Hope, on the north side of section 32.
Coyle, in the center of section 12.
Beulahland, in the center of section 13
A Catholic cemetery is known to have been in existence near the center of section 24, and still shows on a number of maps. So far, attempts to locate it or find out what happened to it have failed.
The final cemetery is located on the NW 1 acre of the SW ¼ of section 13, and is the only acre not owned by Langston University. Originally platted by the Liberty Cemetery Company in 1889, it was also the cemetery for Iowa City, and for Coyle immediately after its move. This cemetery is currently abandoned. On a sad note, we have reliable information which says that many of the larger stones were removed from the cemetery at one time and used in the foundation of a new barn. Perhaps at some time these can be found, and if not damaged, brought home.
Another issue facing the cemetery is the widening and re-routing of State Highway 33 around Langston and Coyle. The Oklahoma Department of Transportation has been made aware of where the cemetery is and have promised not to disturb it.
The closest cemetery not in Logan County is the Clarkson Cemetery in Payne County. It is located some 2 miles east and one mile north of the Pleasant Valley community.
There were six Post Offices which operated in this township:
||SE 33 - Clarkson
||January 24, 1900 - February 29, 1904, name changed to Pleasant Valley February 29-1904 - May 31, 1947
||March 13, 1891 to December 2, 1900, mail to Burwick
||January 31, 1891 to December 15, 1900, mail to Guthrie
||March 1, 1890 to October 27, 1890 - name changed to Martin
||October 27, 1890 to October 26, 1891, mail to Langston
||July 25, 1891 - to present
There were a total of 7 schools in Antelope township:
|Prairie Hill - Trice
|Township Index Page| |Logan County Researchers Homepage|
Updated: Friday, 08-Aug-2008 16:00:19 CDT
This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.
© by Tammie Chada
The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.
All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!