Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames

Bear Creek Township, Logan County, Oklahoma

Bear Creek Township
Logan County, Oklahoma

T16N, R1W Indian Meridian



map image

Researched, written, © and map provided by: Bob Chada



While there is no specific information to support it, Bear Creek Township probably took its name from the town of Bear Creek, once located, not surprisingly, on the banks of the Bear Creek, which runs in the township.

Aside from Bear Creek, which was located on the east side of section 18, four other communities are known to have existed in the township. There are Dodson, in section 32, Frost, on the east side of section 12, Vittum in the northeast corner of section 30, and half of the community of Meridian, located in the southeast corner of section 24. Meridian still retains some of the characteristics of a community today, although it is becoming more deserted as time passes. Of note is the fact that the main north-south street of Meridian is the Indian Meridian (IM). This is a main survey line which once formed the original eastern boundary of Logan County, and is the line from which the legal land descriptions are determined. Those lands west of the meridian will have a range designation of west of IM, while those to the east carry a range designation of east IM.

Five cemeteries exist in the township, those being the Cooper or Park, in the southwest corner of section 22, the Johnson or Pleasant Hill, located in the southeast corner of section 2, the Meridian, located on the east side of section 25, the Sunrise or Rising Sun, located in the northeast corner of section 32, and the Vittum, once located on the north side of section 30. Information from residents of the area where Vittum was located is that they remember the burials being moved, but do not know to where. There is also a single stone burial of a Vina Lair in section 28 that is on private property. There are two graves in the NE corner of Section 8 that are marked by sandstone only. At the present time, there is no other information for them. There is also information that suggests that several other burial sites, now all unmarked, have existed in the township.

Three different railroads made their way through Bear Creek township in the early days. The first of these, the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad Company tracks ran almost due east from Guthrie through Frost on a line nearly parallel to the current Oklahoma Highway 105, and about one-half mile north. The other two lines, the Ft. Smith and Western Railroad Company of Oklahoma, and the Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma Railroad Company, had nearly parallel tracks that ran generally east following the north bank of Blue Creek-Bear Creek and passing just to the south of Meridian.

The historical record shows only two post offices for the township. These are Meridian, which opened March 10, 1894 and is still in use today, and Vittum, opened on July 25, 1900 and closed September 30, 1901, with mail transferred to Guthrie.

A total of 10 separate schools once operated in Bear Creek Township. Four were white, four were black, and of the two known to have been in operation prior to 1897, it is not known if they were segregated or not. The schools are listed in the following table:


School District Closed W/B Section
Baker-L'Ouverture
75
05-29-1970
B
SE 24
Irvin
74
04-25-1949
W
NE 29
Lincoln
72
05-20-1940
B
NE 12
Meridian
75
05-29-1970
W
SE 24
Pleasant Hill
73
07-07-1949
B
SW 4
Pleasant Hill
72
05-20-1940
W
NE 12
Rising Sun-Sunrise
74
04-25-1949
B
NE 29
Union Valley
73
07-07-1949
W
NE 29
Union Valley
73
07-07-1949
W
SW 4
Tempe
 
 
 
SW 24 - pre 1897


|Township Index Page|  |Logan County Researchers Homepage|


Updated: Friday, 08-Aug-2008 16:00:19 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

© by Tammie Chada

The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!