Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames

Iowa Township, Logan County, Oklahoma

Iowa Township
Logan County, Oklahoma

T15N, R1E Indian Meridian



map image

Researched, written, © and map provided by: Bob Chada



There are two possible sources for the use of the Iowa name for this township. One is the fact that it was settled in the run of 1892 from the opening of the Iowa Tribal lands, and the other is the Iowa survey benchmark in section 22.

Only three communities are known to have been in the township. They are Garden in the southwest corner of section 22, Jackson or Tohee in section 34, and Shiloh, located on the railroads between sections 1 and 2. Garden was a post office from 1895 thru 1900, when the mail was transferred to Luther. Jackson/Tohee was a post office from 1890 thru 1906 when its mail was transferred to Meridian. Shiloh was a post office from 1899 thru 1908 when its mail was also transferred to Meridian.

Three cemeteries are also known in the township, and all three are for all intents and purposes abandoned and in disrepair. All three are located on private property and require the landowners permission for entry.

The first is the Faver located in the southwest corner of section 11. It is located on the land once owned by Stonewall J. Faver, a black man who served 3 terms as county commissioner for the area. He also donated the land in Guthrie for the Faver High School and the Page School, both exclusively black. Mr. Faver was first buried in the cemetery before being moved to Summit View in Guthrie.

The second is the Jordan in the center of section 15, named for Jordan family that once owned the property. The third is the Big Oak-Marshall, located in the center of section 14. A number of early residents of the Fallis community which was just across the county line in Lincoln County are buried here.

The Fort Smith and Western, and Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma railroads passed through the northeast corner of Iowa Township.

Iowa Township once supported 6 schools, 3 black, two white and one integrated. They are listed as follows:


School District Closed W/B Section
Arnett
95
07-10-1947
B
NE 35
Big Oak
94
07-07-1950
W/B
SW 11
Cotton Belt
92
07-16-1947
B
S 20
Garden
93
07-30-1947
W
S 21
Mt. Pleasant
91
07-16-1947
B
SW 4
Shiloh
85
05-08-1929
W
NE 2


|Township Index Page|  |Logan County Researchers Homepage|


Updated: Friday, 08-Aug-2008 16:00:21 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

© by Tammie Chada

The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!