Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames

Marshall Township, Logan County, Oklahoma

Marshall Township
Logan County, Oklahoma

T19N R4W Indian Meridian



map image

Researched, written, © and map provided by: Bob Chada



image Marshall Township is named for the town of Marshall, which is located in section 4. The name Marshall comes from Sylvan Rice, the original land claim owner. In 1889, he petitioned for a post office to be named Marshall after his original home town of Marshall town, Iowa.
Photo provided by: Bob Chada     

The green highlight on the map represents the track of the Denver, Enid and Gulf Railroad (1902-1907) when it was purchased by the Santa Fe. It is still in operation under the Burlington Northern/Santa Fe.

Probably the most interesting community was Roxana, as the historical marker shows. Roxana was located in the SW corner of section 20, and is no longer in existence. The name comes from one of the wives of Alexander the Great, and was proposed by Mrs. Marcus S. Abrhams. Mr. Abrahams established the Roxana Petroleum Company in the area for the Royal Dutch Shell Oil Company. image
  Photo provided by: Bob Chada     

Marshall township has one known cemetery, which is located on the north side of section 23. It has been previously known as Pleasant Ridge, and is now known as the South Marshall IOOF.

There are two other cemeteries located close to the township border. The North Marshall IOOF is in Garfield county, and is located approximately a mile and a half north of Marshall. It is the final resting place for Angie Debo, author. The Sheridan cemetery is located in Kingfisher county, two miles west of the township line on Oklahoma Highway 51, one half mile south, and one half mile west.

Only two post offices have operated in Marshall township. Marshall is still in operation, and Bowman, which operated from January 25, 1890 to August 30, 1900, when the mail was transferred to Standard in Oakview township.

A total of five schools once operated in Marshall township. Two were white only, one was black only, and two had students of both colors. They are listed as follows:

School District Closed W/B Section
Liberty
96
7/16/47
W
SE6
Marshall
15
5/10/76
W/B
4
Pleasant Ridge
4
8/7/30
W/B
NE26
Rosenberg-Roxana
97
7/24/48
W
SW20
Tar Box
3
6/25/25
B
SW27

From a lawman and outlaw perspective, the outlaw Zip Wyatt was captured on August 4, 1895 by Enid, Oklahoma deputies A. J. Poak and S. T. Woods in a cornfield on the Ross farm on Skeleton Creek some 5 miles southwest of Marshall. Wyatt later died of his wounds.


|Township Index Page|  |Logan County Researchers Homepage|


Updated: Friday, 08-Aug-2008 16:00:23 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

© by Robert & Tammie Chada

The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!