Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames
Mulhall Township, Logan County, Oklahoma
Logan County, Oklahoma
T18N R2W Indian Meridian
Researched, written, © and map provided by: Bob Chada
Mulhall township is named after Col. Zack Mulhall, who was an early livestock agent for the railroad. Col. Mulhall filed a claim just west of the station and he, along with Sam Matthers and J. J. Cummings donated the first lots for the town.
The green line on the map represents the original Southern Kansas Railway Company trackage which was laid in 1887. This line was used by settlers during the run of 1889. The line is now owned and operated by the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe.
Originally, the town of Mulhall was known as Alfred, named for Alfred Asp, the son of Oklahoma City attorney Henry Asp. The name was changed in 1890 by Avery Turner, supervisor for the Santa Fe to honor Col. Mulhall. Mulhall also served as the first mayor.
Several items of interest are known about Mulhall. The Mulhall Town Band marched in the inauguration parade of President Theodore Roosevelt, and Carrie Nation visited in 1901 to warn the town and saloon owners about the evil of drink. The town immediately voted the saloons out.
The Mulhalls put together a Wild West Show which toured the country. One daughter, Lucille Mulhall, was a featured performer as a trick rider and steer roper. According to a grand daughter of Zack Mulhall who still lives in Guthrie, the show also featured Geronimo, and was the starting point for such notables as Will Rogers and Tom Mix. Photo at the right was submitted by Bob Chada
Two items in particular come from a long time resident of Mulhall. The first is about a father and son who made the run and staked a claim in the western part of the township. For some reason, they had a disagreement with a woman who owned the neighboring claim. To settle the problem, the woman poisoned them both. There is supposed to be a marker in the pasture where they are buried, but we have been unable as yet to locate it.
The second relates to how her family came into possession of their land. As the story goes, prior to the run there were two "ladies" who stayed at the depot and "took care" of the train crews. Immediately before the run, it was decided that having them live in the depot was not a good idea, and they were moved to "dugouts" outside of town. Her grandfather purchased his claim from these two, and with the exception of the land donated for the Rose Lawn cemetery, the original claim still remains in the family today.
Of the two cemeteries which still show on many maps, only Rose Lawn remains. The original Mulhall Ranch family cemetery was moved to Rose Lawn when the ranch was sold out of the Mulhall family.
Mulhall has had two Post Offices. The first being named Alfred. Alfred was changed to Mulhall, which it remains named today, on June 6, 1890. Ancil B. Woods was the first postmaster serving Alfred and through the change to Mulhall.
Five schools operated in Mulhall township. They are as follows:
|Dale (Rural Dale)
On November 30, 1892, 23 year old Oliver "Ol" Yantis, a member of both the Doolin and Dalton gangs, was killed on the McGinn farm by Dodge City, KS Sheriff C. M. Beeson, Deputy Marshall Tom Hueston and other law men. Yantis is buried in lot 171 of the Rose Lawn Cemetery in Mulhall. Check here
to see a picture of Olivers headstone.
|Township Index Page| |Logan County Researchers Homepage|
Updated: Friday, 08-Aug-2008 16:00:23 CDT
This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.
© by Tammie Chada
The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.
All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!