Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames

North Cimarron Township, Logan County, Oklahoma

North Cimarron Township
Logan County, Oklahoma

T17N R1E Indian Meridian



map image

Researched, written, © and map provided by: Bob Chada


There is no information that indicates where the township name came from. What is known is that this township was not a part of the original Logan County as opened by the run of 1889. North Cimarron Township is in Range 1 East of the Indian Meridian, and was a part of the lands of the Iowa, Sac and Fox, Kickapoo, and Pottawatomie lands opened by the land run of September 22, 1891, and thus became part of Logan County.

Like Antelope Township, North Cimarron shares a large number of its sections, those lying north of the Cimarron river, with Payne County.

There are no known cemeteries in North Cimarron Township, however, there are three just north across the river in Payne County and one just east across the county line in Lincoln County. They are Oak Grove, Paradise and Frazier in Payne County and Olivet in Lincoln County.

Three communities are known to have been in existence, two of which remain today. The city of Coyle is located in the NE of Section 18, and was a stop on the Eastern Oklahoma Railroad. Originally known as Iowa City (in Antelope Township), it was relocated to its present location when the railroad failed to go through it.

The small community of Goodnight is located on the eastern edge of Section 13, and was also a stop on the railroad.

The community of Cimarron City/Cimarron existed in section 13, but only for a short time.

There are no known cemeteries in this township.

There have been four schools in the township. They are:

School District Closed W/B Section
Goodnight
80
07-16-1946
W
NE27
Central
80
07-16-1949
B
NE27
Oak Grove Dodson
84
04-29-1924
W
NE17
Oak Grove - Lilly Grove
81
04-29-1927
B
SW21

The Post Offices of North Cimarron Township are as follows:

Post Office Section Remarks
Cimarron City/Cimarron
14
Established August 28, 1889, name changed to Cimarron April 21, 1894, closed August 15, 1901
Goodnight
13
Established February 23, 1900, closed October 31, 1949
Coyle
18
Established May 5, 1900


|Township Index Page|  |Logan County Researchers Homepage|


Updated: Friday, 08-Aug-2008 16:00:23 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

© by Tammie Chada

The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!